Please help,

Windows XP wont open and the message "unmountable_boot_volume" appears.

Have tried opening in safe mode but the same thing happens. It suggests it may be due to software recently added but theres no way of removing anything.

Many thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

boot to the xp disk and do a Repair install
or mabe simular to this ,
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

Thank you caperjack - my first sign of hope!!!!

However, the same message happens when I try to boot up from the recovery CD.

Any ideas apart from ordering a skip!!!!

Thank you caperjack - my first sign of hope!!!!

However, the same message happens when I try to boot up from the recovery CD.

Any ideas apart from ordering a skip!!!!

sorry not sure what to tell you ,I had this problem once with someone elses computer ,but I work on so many I forget how i fixed it ,I would think it was with a format and reload though ,as that is one of my fallback options being the novice repair guy that iam .:)

Thanks for your efforts caperjack. I've been told I have to replace the hard drive because its probably burnt out - does that sound right to you??

Cheers!!!!

Thanks for your efforts caperjack. I've been told I have to replace the hard drive because its probably burnt out - does that sound right to you??

Cheers!!!!

It sure could be i guess ,go to mycomputer and right click on the hardrive icon and go to properties /tools and run the error checking option see what happens .

If that doesnt give any errors i would recommend to use the diagnostics tool of the HDD manufacturer, which also would give you the option for a thourough disk scan, and maybe even a low level format of the harddisk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.