Hi, my computer works fine in all safe modes of xp sp3 but whenever i try to run it normally it will crash, the time it takes normally varies from a few seconds to 5 minutes, what is wrong and how can i fix it?

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by leegeorg07

thanks i did that and one error that keeps popping up is DCOM and that a server didnt register in the required timeout, i then ran the builtin help on it and it says to use regedit and to go to HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
and to use the filename i found in there to find it in my computer to find the vendor and to contact them, however it doesnt specify a filename in the localserver32 what should i do?

im trying to do the edit registry part but it comes up with a problem when im trying the Dcomcnfg.exe where i will open the component services but when i click the computers folder it closes itself down, i have tried it repeatedly, what should i do?

I am beginning to think an infection may have caused the problem in the first place. What security software have you got and what happens when you scan with it?

eset, ad-aware, norton, spybot, malwarebytes. the problem started when i was installing quick heal av lite 2009 from a cd from PC advisor, when it first crashed. ill scan with them and reply in a minute

i just scanned it once and it raised 42 problems, i have fixed them all and am scanning again

If it turns out not to be a matter of infection, or if after the infections are removed you still can't access the desktop a repair install of windows will probably be in line.

ok thanks, im trying it again but if it doesnt work after this i will take it to a repair shop

quick heal av lite 2009, but that still didnt work so i tried a sytem restore to well before when this started happening, that didnt work, is there anything else i can do before i take it to my local repair shop?

System Restore should never be used to try to move an infection as quite a few infections hide within restore points and / or interfere with the restore process.

Update Mbam and do a full scan with it and post it's log.
Try it in safe mode if you have to.

Ok, run it in safe mode, get it to remove what it finds, then try it in normal mode.

ok i ran the scan and it said i had 2 viruses:
broken.open.command
rogue.antivirus2008
i will restart and see what happens

no that didnt work :( it made it stay normal for longer but only a few moments, im going to scan again and then see what happens

well after all the effort my friend put it on a factory install again and i have to reinstall everything :(

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.