Member Avatar for leegeorg07

Hi, my computer works fine in all safe modes of xp sp3 but whenever i try to run it normally it will crash, the time it takes normally varies from a few seconds to 5 minutes, what is wrong and how can i fix it?

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Have a look at event viewer. INSTRUCTIONS

thanks i did that and one error that keeps popping up is DCOM and that a server didnt register in the required timeout, i then ran the builtin help on it and it says to use regedit and to go to HKCR\Clsid\clsid value\localserver32
and to use the filename i found in there to find it in my computer to find the vendor and to contact them, however it doesnt specify a filename in the localserver32 what should i do?

im trying to do the edit registry part but it comes up with a problem when im trying the Dcomcnfg.exe where i will open the component services but when i click the computers folder it closes itself down, i have tried it repeatedly, what should i do?

I am beginning to think an infection may have caused the problem in the first place. What security software have you got and what happens when you scan with it?

eset, ad-aware, norton, spybot, malwarebytes. the problem started when i was installing quick heal av lite 2009 from a cd from PC advisor, when it first crashed. ill scan with them and reply in a minute

i just scanned it once and it raised 42 problems, i have fixed them all and am scanning again

If it turns out not to be a matter of infection, or if after the infections are removed you still can't access the desktop a repair install of windows will probably be in line.

ok thanks, im trying it again but if it doesnt work after this i will take it to a repair shop

What exactly are you scanning with?

quick heal av lite 2009, but that still didnt work so i tried a sytem restore to well before when this started happening, that didnt work, is there anything else i can do before i take it to my local repair shop?

System Restore should never be used to try to move an infection as quite a few infections hide within restore points and / or interfere with the restore process.

Update Mbam and do a full scan with it and post it's log.
Try it in safe mode if you have to.

ooops :( ok will do, i have to run it in safe mode, otherwise it crashes :(

Ok, run it in safe mode, get it to remove what it finds, then try it in normal mode.

doing it now, i will post the results before i restart normally

ok i ran the scan and it said i had 2 viruses:
broken.open.command
rogue.antivirus2008
i will restart and see what happens

no that didnt work :( it made it stay normal for longer but only a few moments, im going to scan again and then see what happens

well after all the effort my friend put it on a factory install again and i have to reinstall everything :(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.