Can someone give me the filename where I can find email.

A guy brought me his old drive and wants his emails saved to a disk so he can put them back into his now clean system.

Is there any trick to getting them into his now clean system.

The old drive has been scanned for virii already...

Are there any other dangers..?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Are there any other dangers..?

If he wants to import his old emails into his "now clean" system, the system might not be so "clean" afterwards.

Is there any trick to getting them into his now clean system.

It's not really a trick, it's called exporting emails. In outlook, go to (my Outlook isn't in english) File->Import/Export->"Export to a file"->".pst File". Then you choose what folder to export, and done.

Michael

I dont want to make his old drive operational and export the emails...

I have it slaved onto one of my test systems and wanted to find the name of the file to copy to the new system.

O.k, I got one for ya.... My profile is corupted so I just made a new one quick like and set it up like I had it. I then had to set up outlokk express, but I checked my mail and all my folders and mail are gone... Where does outlook store the mail from my mail server so I can import it into my new profile???

O.k, I got one for ya.... My profile is corupted so I just made a new one quick like and set it up like I had it. I then had to set up outlokk express, but I checked my mail and all my folders and mail are gone... Where does outlook store the mail from my mail server so I can import it into my new profile???

open outlook and go to tools /options /maintenence ,look for store folder click on it and it will show path to the folder where the emails are stored ,by creating the new account you may have overwritten the old email though,not really sure if it does over write them .

Although it sounds Dumb ...... use a Anti Virus ....LolZZ

I've had luck on this once and then on another try it didn't work.

First you need to go into the old HD to find where the email was stored on the slaved HD. I opened up my present email left clicked the inbox icon to get the dropdown showing all folders and right clicked the one I wanted, say Drafts, then clicked properties. At the bottom it should tell you where the file is stored, you need to click on this and use the right arrow to go all the way to the end which will read \Drafts.dbx, the whole string will look like this <C:\Documents and Settings\OWNER\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{6003B9B5-5444-4733-B54B-AC6A8AE9D302}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Drafts.dbx> copy this down then get into the slaved HD and trace out the path. The final file will list Drafts.dbx, Inbox.dbx and so on just copy the files you want to somewhere you can store. Here's where it gets tricky, if he has not used the new Outlook Express you can trace out the path on the new HD and copy in the .dbx files you saved, Outlook will automatically change the name slightly adding a (1) or an extra space. Right click on the newly added .dbx file and rename to match the existing file. You should get a warning that a file already exists with the same name and if you continue the existing file will be overwritten. Click OK as this is what you want, when you next open Outlook all the emails from the old HD should be present. Once when I did this it worked flawlessly then the next time Outlook refused to overwrite a blank .dbx file and I still haven't figured out how to get it to open the .dbx files I want.

If the Outlook already has emails in it that you don't want to lose you need to copy these somewhere before overwriting as everything will be lost from the new HD .dbx files being overwritten. After overwrite you can drag and drop saved e-mails into the newly overwritten Drafts file after opening Outlook Express.

I found that it did work the second time but not until I shutdown and restarted the computer. The file I was working with is now on my new computer.

You can rename the .dbx files without losing info. Turn Inbox.dbx(from the slaved HD) into Inbox2000.dbx or whatever and this will stop the transfer from old HD to new from overwriting exsisting Inbox. I created a file with the new name in my Outlook Express before transfering in thye copied .dbx file. It should also be possile to do the same thing with adress books although I haven't personally done so.

Hope this helps, it would be cool to help someone after all the help I've recieved.

You didn't specify whether it was Outlook or Outlook Express or what version. One of the usual locations for older versions of Outlook is C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\ where you should find the outlook.pst file. Otherwise, you could also search the drive for .pst files. Also, the Local Settings folder will not display unless you have Show Hidden and System files enabled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.