I've just "fixed" a longstanding Rundll32.exe problem by simply copying the program from another machine onto mine. Now I get a new error message when I try to access the control panel: "The Rundll32.exe file is linked to missing export Kernel32.dll:ActivateActCtx." So I tried to do the same thing -- i.e. copy the Kernel32.dll from the same machine I had gotten the Rundll32.exe from. But when I opened the floppy on my computer it didn't even show the file as having been copied. Very strange. Has anyone else come across this error message and if so did they have any success in repairing it?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Which Windows version do you use. The error seems to suggest that a Windows XP only program is being used on a Windows 98 system. It my not mean that the Kernel32.dll file needs to be replaced - just that an illegal call to it has benn made.

Which Windows version do you use. The error seems to suggest that a Windows XP only program is being used on a Windows 98 system. It my not mean that the Kernel32.dll file needs to be replaced - just that an illegal call to it has benn made.

Yes, you're right -- should have mentioned that. I'm still using Windows 98 and the RunDLL was from XP. After all the headache I've had trying to get the Rundll32.exe back on my computer (I still have no idea where it went in the first place) I hoped I could solve the issue with a graft. Do you have any idea if there's another way to solve the problem?

Refresh install of Windows 98. load it over the top of itself and redo any necessary updates.

Stop trying to 'graft' things to correct problems. Fix the causes of the problems instead ;)

I use windows ME

windows ME version. error message rundll32 is linked to a missing kernel32.dll activate act ctx. how do i fixit

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.