Had an old server donated to my church that had the DBAN program ran on it. Now when trying to install Server 2000 the monitor is black. How can I install?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hi,
When you got to the part of the installation that asked where do you want to install, did you ask it to format that drive/partition?
Here is a good site for the installation, see if you have anything different.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304868
Do you have access to another PC with access to the net where you can download a program and format the PC before you even start to do the install?

The monitor screen is black from the moment I boot up, so I am unable to even begin to do a reinstall. I do have access to the internet from other PCs

Hi,
I asked you "When you got to the part of the installation that asked where do you want to install, did you ask it to format that drive/partition?"
Did you go to this site ---http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304868
Dir you find anything you did wrong?
I know you do have access to another PC to access the internet or you could not post here, but I asked "can you download a program to format the PC"
If you can, find one, download it, run it on your PC, format your PC and reinstall Windows.

I haven't gotten to the format question b/c when I first turn the system on, the monitor screen is black. I did check the recommended website and it really didn't apply since I can't even get started with the reinstall. I will search for a reformat program to download. Any suggested programs? Thank you.

Hi,
Not knowing you knowledge, this has a very good instructions and will do the job for you, go to:-
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Download, make a CD and run in your PC

Thank you. I will give that a try this evening.

We are having a communications problem, let me try again.
1. When you did install windows on the PC that now only has a black screen when you try and boot. Did you tell the PC to format the drive/partition where you wanted to windows installation to go? That is , did you click on the button "Format and install" or the button "leave" (something like that) Quote "When you got to the part of the installation that asked where do you want to install, did you ask it to format that drive/partition?"
2. Then I asked you to go to a site that tell you how to install 2000 and read how to install. and I asked you if you did as instructed there or did you do something different. Quote "Here is a good site for the installation, see if you have anything different."
3. As you are posting here, I know that you do have access to a PC to access the internet. But I asked if you could use that PC to download and make a CD. Quote "Do you have access to another PC with access to the net where you can download a program and format the PC before you even start to do the install?"
Now I am willing to help you as much as I can, but please read what I post and try to follow me with what I ask, OK.

I don't think you are understanding what has occurred on my end. Let me start from the beginning. The company I work for donated an old server to me for my church. Prior to donation DBAN was run on the server. When they donated the server they also provided Server 2000 install disk. I am trying to install server 2000. I have just hooked all of the components up including the monitor and the monitor screen is totally black therefore I cannot even begin to reinstall. I hope this addresses your concerns as I HAVE read carefully your post.

Hi,
OK totally different situation. It sounds like you are not getting any signal to your monitor. There many things that can cause this. First, open the PC and check all connections (unplug and immediately plug back in) into and out of the motherboard and other components. Remove your RAM chip/chips, clean the contacts with a pencil eraser (do not touch the contacts) and replace. Try PC again.
Is there any lights on PC when you turn it on, Power light, hard drive light, CD light, Monitor light?
Are the fans running, power supply, CPU?
Are there any beeps from PC when you turn it on?
Please tell me anything else that is happening that I have not asked about.

If I unplug the monitor the "no signal" screen displays but will go away when I plug it back in. I have done as you suggested & cleaned the RAM as well as using compressed air to clean the entire machine. I have check & reseated all connections. the CPU lights up in all of the standard places including the HD & CD drive. The monitor light initially is green then goes to amber. Do you think I need a new video card?

Hi,
If you have a video card, remove it and try that. If you don't have one, see if you can borrow one and try that.
What about beeps?

I will have a "borrowed" video card on Friday so I will try that. As for beeps, yes it does the "standard" startup beep.

Hi,
OK, so did you try taking out the card or is it an on-board video. You may have to install the new card from a CD, make sure you get that as well. Good luck, we will hear from you later.

antivirus

uhg

It's an onboard. Should have the card tomorrow, so hopefully things will go well from there. Will post & let you know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.