I have been having some problems with my internet.I can connect fine to the internet but after connecting,nothing will load up.My home page won't load at all.It just says "cannot find server."I can not get into any other pages as well.Nothing will load up and everything says "cannot find server."I have called my ISP and they have no idea what could be causing this.I have Windows 2000 and we have Norton Antivus and Ad Aware installed.Please help!
Hi southerngirl18, welcome to Daniweb :)
1. What exact type of connection do you have (dial-up, cable, DSL)?
2. If it's cable or DSL, do you connect directly to the modem, or do you go through a router or switch first?
3. If you're running any firewall software, disable it completely.
4. Some tests:
1. Open your Internet Options control panel, click on the Connections tab, and then on the "LAN Settings" button. In the LAN settings window, make sure none of the proxy-related boxes are checked, and also try toggling the status of the "automatically detect settings" box.
2. Open Internet Explorer and see if you can reach Google and/or Yahoo by their IP addresses as opposed to their URL. In IE's address/location bar, type in the following locations one at a time and tell us what happens:
3. Click on the "Run..." option in your Start menu. In the "Open:" box of the resulting window, type "cmd" (omit the quotes) and hit Enter. This will bring up a DOS window
- At the DOS prompt, type the following commands, hit Enter after each, and tell us the exact results:
- Again at the DOS prompt, type the following command, hit Enter, and post the information returned by the command:
My family has 4 computers and it seems that I'm the only one who has a problem with "cannot find server". The other 3 is working just fine. I have contacted my Internet service provider to help me with this problem and no luck. I disabled the firewall and it says that I'm connected. I don't know what else to do?
Furthermore, after the restore the internet was working fine then the following day it stopped and it has been going on for almost 6 days.
It could be one or more issues. This could be malware preventing you from accessing the internet. It could also be that your network interface card is having issues. If this is a wireless connection, it could also be that your wireless settings are the problem.
Do you have any idea where the problem could be so that you can get specific help in that area?