Hi All,

I'm using a Toshiba Laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium.
Strangely my USB mouse will suddenly freeze after 3-5 minutes in use. I cannot move my cursor but I can click (left or right). Have tried with several mouse, all having the same problem. However, touchpad got no problem.

I have disable USB sleep in device manager. This does not solve it.

Anybody know what is the problem?

Thank you.

KC

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,
Try a re-installation of your mouse. go to device manager ("Start" "Run" type "devmgmt.msc" without the " ") find and uninstall the mouse driver, reboot and let windows reinstall the driver. See how that works. If you have no success with that, try a System File Check. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

good luck.

Hi,
Try a re-installation of your mouse. go to device manager ("Start" "Run" type "devmgmt.msc" without the " ") find and uninstall the mouse driver, reboot and let windows reinstall the driver. See how that works. If you have no success with that, try a System File Check. http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

good luck.

Ummmm..... you might want to learn to read before handing out your "advice" mate. The site you link to is XP based when the OP clearly stated they are using VISTA! Also, any system protected drivers/files will not be uninstalled using your suggested method without being elevated to Admin level - opening via Run console in Vista (unlike Win7) will not elevate an application to such status! Please limit advice to topics you actually have a clear understanding of, rather than hopping on Google for the first piece of info you can find.... it will avoid confusion for the posters.

@Lara:
There are a couple of possibilities as to what is causing your problems:
a) faulty USB ports: If there is an issue with your ports, power may not be sufficiently carrying through to your devices. Also, you could see if dirt in said ports is preventing a clean connection.
b) Driver issues: This one can be broken down to two distinct issues
1)Driver conflicts btwn Touchpad and External Mouse.
2)Buggy drivers for external mouse.
In both cases, the solution tends to be the same. Using 3rd party drivers for either device can often cause more headaches than they are worth post-XP. Similarly, using 3rd party/manufacturers drivers for one and Windows generic drivers for the other cn create massive headaches. Have personally found, if you use the Device Manager to uninstall any proprietary drivers and then let Windows simple install generic versions, then both devices should co-exist quite happily.

Hi kaninelupus,
You are perfectly correct, I must have assumed that I was in the XP site and I did not read what was perfectly plain and clear "Vista home Premium".
I sincerely apologize to you and the original poster for my error. I have made mistakes before and I will continue to make them, but I have learned from all my past mistakes as I have learned from this one.
Again, please accept my apology for my totally incorrect posting. I trust that the information you have given the poster will result in a satisfactory result and that my error will not confuse or hinder that result.
Thank you for pointing out my error.

To Bob, it's ok. :-) Actually I have try your method before. However, reinstalling of the USB mouse driver does not help. I have download the latest synaptic touchpad driver as well. It doesnt work too.

To Kaninelupus, Yes, I also suspect the USB port got problem. But before I bring it for warranty, I would like to seek others opinion.

I just found out a strange behaviour. If I use the mouse continuously, the mouse will freeze within 5 minutes. But if I leave it idling after plug in, there is no problem at all even after several hour.

Thanks for the suggestion and opinion.

KC

To Kaninelupus, Yes, I also suspect the USB port got problem. But before I bring it for warranty, I would like to seek others opinion.

I just found out a strange behaviour. If I use the mouse continuously, the mouse will freeze within 5 minutes. But if I leave it idling after plug in, there is no problem at all even after several hour.

Thanks for the suggestion and opinion.

KC

Keep in mind that if it is either a USB port issue, or a driver-support issue, that neither would likely show up if the mouse is inactive after plugging in. If HW-based, no mouse-movement would send receiver into idle mode (a dormant state), thus no issues would arise even if a hardware issue exists. It would also mean no loading on the hardware drivers, thus no incompatibilities/errors would be able to eventuate.

I see. I will bring the laptop to Service Centre to check.

Thanks!

KC

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.