Periodically I get a pop-up down by the clock that reads..Local Area Connection..Network Cable Unpluged. This occurs on or off line, with no dicernible patern. So far I haven't noticed any ill effects associated with it, but I'm still a novice. Any ideas of just what I've got happening here?

For some good comic relief, try going to Alice Schubach's Home Page, go to Microsoft Bashing, and scroll down to Hidden Windows Settings.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi,

There's been a few topics on here about the problem you're having. Use the Search feature:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/search.php?

and enter the keywords
network cable unplugged

as your search criteria. Let us know if the unformation in there helps or not, please.

Hi,

There's been a few topics on here about the problem you're having. Use the Search feature:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/search.php?

and enter the keywords
network cable unplugged

as your search criteria. Let us know if the unformation in there helps or not, please.

Hi Catweazle, I went there and read it but I don't see any connection to my problem. I'm not networking, I'm strictly snailophone line to the modem in my computer. I do appreciate the thought, any others?

The uninstall or disable the network card or onboard LAN on your PC. That message is definitely related to the network connection, not to the modem's internet connection. You have a network device loaded and enabled, it's looking for the network, it doesn't find one and you get the error message.

right-click My Computer and choose Properties. On the hardware tab choose Device Manager. Right-click the Network Adaptor and choose Disable.

The uninstall or disable the network card or onboard LAN on your PC. That message is definitely related to the network connection, not to the modem's internet connection. You have a network device loaded and enabled, it's looking for the network, it doesn't find one and you get the error message.

right-click My Computer and choose Properties. On the hardware tab choose Device Manager. Right-click the Network Adaptor and choose Disable.

Thanks again Catweazle, that's more like what I had expected to find, I just didn't know where to begin..this is all part of the learning curve. In retrospec, I remember when I reformated the computer last, that while re-installing the modem's software, there was a note informing me that I was showing both phone line and LAN capabilities, should this have been a red flag, or even a part of what your talking about?
I followed your instructions, and now it's a game of wait and see. Thanks again, it's reasuring to know that there is a human data base available out there.

Reboot and see :)

The Network Adaptor had been enabled, and I did disable it. I did a reboot, and this should be the end of this problem. The problem being peroidical without any patern is the only disquieting aspect, time will tell. I hope this never becomes trite...thanks again.

Hey Catweazle...well, that didn't take long, it's still there, I don't know about you, but I'm thinking exorcism.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.