Hi alll my packard has started to make an unusual noise - its a high pitched repeating beep - if you can imagine ( beep lasts about 3 seconds ) goes silent and the kicks of again it onlly happens when i am playing star trek armada 1 or 2 - or any 3d accelareted game/apps in general - basicaly when i am pushing the poor old pc to the edge and beyond (( we have all done it i'm not the only one ))

anyway i'm fairly worried so i would love it if somebod could put me out of my misery and tell me if its ( gonna blow up ) or something equally likely........ i hope it won't cozz i love's me packard.

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?sernr=023201720140

thats the model et'c

thanx 4 all you advice in advance :-)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

sounds like it could be overheating.
Try taking the side off the pc to play. You might want to place a large fan to blow nice cool air into the case too.

If that works then you need to see about improving your case cooling.

Is the pattern of the beeps always consistent? If so, what is the pattern/duration and how many times does it repeat? For example: one lonng beep-two short beeps- two long beeps.

sounds like it could be overheating.
Try taking the side off the pc to play. You might want to place a large fan to blow nice cool air into the case too.

If that works then you need to see about improving your case cooling.

As Dave said, it could be overheating; if you haven't done so recently, remove the cover and vacuum and/or blow (with canned air) the fans, CPU & heat sink, and power supply. Be sure to ground yourself (either with a strap or by touching the case) to prevent damage via static electricity.

Agreed - that sounds like a heat problem. If cleaning it doesn't help sort things out, you might want to get it checked. The processor fan might be malfunctioning or the thermal paste between procesor and heatsink might need replacing.

Hiya can i just thanks all for the advive.

I got it sorted my boyfriend totally cleaned the inside of the pc then he applied some new thermal paste to the heatsink then he did the man thing and drilled a dirty great hole in the side of my case and fixed a nice big fan inside it' also putting a very nice cover on the front ((( all the while muttering to himself ))) about how i don't clean it properly - - )) then i got a lecture about dusting it every day (( - lmao as if.......

but thanx again all.

hahahahaha

He should have fitted a bloody great window panel to the side of it as well, so you'd be too embarrassed to leave it dirty and dusty!!!! :D

very funny - catweazle :-)

i do however have on other pronlem to which even my omnipotent boyfriend can't handle he''s good with the Hands on stuff but the workings of windows is as he puts it (( beyond my meer mortle grasp )) link below i wasnt sure where to put the probllem so i put it in internet but it might ne something else ?.

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread9040.html

sazz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.