:sad: hi,

I am using windows 2003 server on a pc with dual P3 450mhz cpus and 1gb ecc sd-ram. When I click on connect the whole system crashes and I have to switch it off and reboot it. I am using a 56kbs V.90 usb dial-up modem.

Does anyone know what is going on?

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DMR

Does the system even have a chance to write any errors to the log files? Use the Event Viewer to check those logs and let us know if you find anything.

errors in event viewer:

System log: -

Source: ACPI

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x70), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

Source: DCOM
Event id: 10005

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service SymProxySvc with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{F8893C88-67F6-46AC-8440-9870803487BA}

The is one more error that is related to my local network, which i will correct

The is one more error that is related to my local network...

If you have details of those errors, please post them.

The "SymProxySvc" reference is related to your Norotn/Symantec programs, but I don't have time to research the exact eror messages right now. h

Source: NetBT

The name "MSHOME :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.0.3. The machine with the IP address 192.168.0.2 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

1. The ACPI error comes from a conflict related to the power management function in your BIOS and/or its interaction with a piece of hardware or its drivers. Some BIOSes are known to have problems with their ACPI implementaion, and some drivers are known to have non-standard or buggy ACPI-related code. You may need to either flash upgrade your BIOS or, if you've recently installed/upgraded any drivers, roll those back to the previous version. More info on possible causes and fixes can be found here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22ACPI+BIOS+is+attempting+to+write+to+an+illegal+IO+port+address+%280x70%29%22&btnG=Google+Search

2. "The name "MSHOME :1d" could not be registered...". This is usually indicative of a NetBiIOS naming confilict between two machines on your network.
The official word from Microsoft is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q822659

If that link doesn't help, give us a detailed description of your network setup and we'll see if we can offer any suggestions.

3. " DCOM got error..." SymProxySvc is component of the firewall in Norton's Internet Security package; the fact that it is failing to start could be related to your other problems, but I can't say for sure.

- Open the Services utility in your Administrative Tools control panel, locate the SymProxySvc service, double-click on it, and clcik the Start button. Does the service start successfully when you do that, or does it still fail?

- You might want to try uninstalling and reinstalling the Norton package; I've found it to be somewhat prone to corruption.

More info on the DCOM error in general can be found here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22attempting+to+start+the+service%22&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.