Hello, I have been seeking the aid of almost everyone I know about this, but nobody can figure out whats wrong :cry:. I'm not sure if this is even the right forum or community, but I hope one of you might have some insight.

A certain program I have requires me to put in the CD for it to start up. So I put it in, but then program freezes on its startup screen, the cursor is the loading cursor, and the cd drive light is on and the computer is making lots of noise searching the CD or something, and it stays like this for about 1 minute, and then it stops and says CD cannot be found. The program works fine on all my other computers, so the CD is not broken. I also uninstalled the CD drivers and reinstalled them, to no avail. Additionally, I'm not quite sure the problem is even CD related at all, as I copied the CD to my computer and used a CD emulator and it still gives me the error "CD cannot be found", although the error comes up much faster when I use the emulator and doesnt search the drive for a minute. Anyway, other programs of the same type work fine, so I have no idea what is wrong. I even got the program to run once in like 20 tries, without doing anything differently, but can't get it to work again. I reinstalled countless times and no difference. Lastly, after I get the error, the cd drive no longer functions until I restart the computer and I have to manually eject my CD with a paperclip. The computer has had some other problems, mainly overheating ( I just got a new fan + heat sink). That's all for background I guess, I hope somebody might know whats up : /

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Program name and version please? Sounds like it might be a copy protection measure which is getting hung up on the fact that you have CD emulation software installed. Many games, for example do just that, and refuse to run when such software is installed.

Program name and version please? Sounds like it might be a copy protection measure which is getting hung up on the fact that you have CD emulation software installed. Many games, for example do just that, and refuse to run when such software is installed.

The program is in fact a game actually, Warcraft III: Frozen throne expansion, but, I always uninstall the cd emulation software after I use it, so that's not the problem.

Does the CD drive work fine for all other purposes and disks? If so, it might be a case that the uninstall of the emulation software is not fully 'letting go', and the copy pretection problem is still cropping up as a result.

But it's more likely to be the case that you need a patch installed which fixes some 'copy protection bugs'. Such was an inclusion in version 1.13. Version 1.14, which includes that earlier 'fix' can be downloaded from:
http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/4901

I'd suggest you install it and see if the problem persists.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.