I was recently laid off. Before turning in my work laptop I was allowed to download all my files to a flash drive to take with me. I bought a new laptop (w/Windows 7) and everything was going fine until about a week later when all of a sudden the computer does not recognize the device. I can find it under Device Manager where I get a "code 10 Device Cannot Open," but under "Computer Devices with Removeable Storage" it's as if it doesn't exist.

Is there any way to reclaim the files on this flash drive? I am rather desperate for those files.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

so it worked for a bit ,did you not copy the files to the laptop so you would have had them in 2 places ,which is always best serneo ,
sounds like maybe the drive was remover incorrectly ,did you try the drive in another computer ,you need to do a chkdsk on it some how ,go to control panel /admin tools /computer management /diskmanager ,see if it shows there

so it worked for a bit ,did you not copy the files to the laptop so you would have had them in 2 places ,which is always best serneo ,
sounds like maybe the drive was remover incorrectly ,did you try the drive in another computer ,you need to do a chkdsk on it some how ,go to control panel /admin tools /computer management /diskmanager ,see if it shows there

Yes, it did work for a while. No, I did not save the files to the laptop which I should have - or at least made a backup. Hindsight is always 20/20 and that would have been the best case scenerio.

I tried your recommendation to do a check disk. I went thru control panel, etc., but the computer does not recognize the flash drive at that level - only in Device Manager or Devices and Printers can I find it. In the meantime, the computer is making a a "ta-da" noise to say that the device cannot start. I can get access to its properties, driver, details, etc. but cannot find a way to run a check disk. Any other thoughts?

try it in another computer .
i have given up and thrown a few away for behaving like yours

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this scenario and make your USB device work again.
1) If you are using a USB cable with your device, check the cable to make sure it matches the speed of the device. Use USB 2.0 cables with USB 2.0 devices and USB 1.1 cables with USB 1.1 devices. Swap cables and check the device, if this does not work, proceed to Step 2.
2) Next, open Device Manager and look under the heading for USB Serial Bus Controllers. If there is a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it such as USB Mass Storage Device. Double-click on the entry and check the Device Status. If the status shows something like
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
proceed to Step 3.
3) The easiest way to solve a USB error code 10 in Windows XP is to follow the steps below to remove and reinstall all USB controllers.
A. Click on Start
B. Right Click on My Computer, click on Properties
C.Click on the Hardware tab
D. Click the Device Manager button.
E. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers section.
F. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
G. Restart the computer, and allow the computer to reinstall the USB controllers.
H. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

for more information and help click here

for more information and help click here

link is about win7 and paid tech support not usb problems

link is about win7 and paid tech support not usb problems

Sorry, didn't understand what you meant. ---I did call Dell/Microsoft to ask if the above instructions would work. They did not recommend it. Instead instructed (as you did) to try ithe Flash on another computer. If that didn't work, they gave me phone # for 2 data recovery labs. Just haven't had a chance to try another computer yet. I do appreciate your thoughts & trying to help.

Sorry, didn't understand what you meant. --.

i tagged post #5 because they said this[for more information and help click here ] with a link for more help click here ,but the link takes you to a website that you have to pay for help ,that's all ,the site was not specific to your problem ,,
you really just simply need to try it in another computer to see if its the drive

Hi, sorry to know that u were laid off. Hope u get a very good job soon.

1st try suggestions from other posters. 2ndly, why dont u try the demo or trial version Data Recovery software? I randomly found 1 such web site: http://www.recoverdata.in/recovery-data/memory-stick-data-recovery-utilities.html

Before accessing this or any web site or downloading any data, please keep ur anti-virus on. Hope this helps you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.