I recently tried to defragment my computer. I am running windows XP Pro on an IBM ThinkPad T40, Pentium M 1.8 ghz, 512 Ram, 80G harddrive. When it was "done" it gave me a message saying it couldn't defragment a bunch of them, and there was still a large protion of red showing in the expected space area. I found this interesting considering my username is the only one on the laptop and it is set as an administrator. I restarted in safe mode and logged in under Administrator and was able to run disk defrag and it cleaned up all of the files. Any ideas on why i was unable to defragment completely under my user? Also, i've found in my event log that Symantec (my antivirus) is unable to access a whole bunch of files when it runs under my same user name.

If anyone has any ideas they are most appreciated.
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Your system could be set up for the admin user and a possible guest user. Im not sure about it, but it is possible.

JAM SIKO

That was the idea i originally had. I know users can either be a guest, admin. , or a Limited user. I thought i must have messed up when i originally configured and made myself a limited or guest, but when i go to control panel and user accounts it lists my user as an admin. it just seems odd to me that I don't seem to have access to my entire computer as an admin.

Thanks for the response!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.