ok, so i downloaded a bunch of smut with limewire, and now I can't delete it. please help. after reading other forums, i have tried:

deleting in safe mode
deleting in dos
deleting in dos in safe mode
deleting with the following software:
dellater.exe
eraser v5.7
killbox
moveonboot

all to no avail, suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

have u checked to see if they have viruses or spyware in them?

Can you delete the files if you boot from the XP CD-ROM and enter the Recovery Console (see here for a description)?

have u checked to see if they have viruses or spyware in them?

they don't

Can you delete the files if you boot from the XP CD-ROM and enter the Recovery Console (see here for a description)?

I no longer have my windows 98 disk

additional info that might be helpful:

the files are mpg files from limewire, but not regular mpgs, but rather the temporary preview files that are created when you preview files that is not fully downloaded.

when i try to delete the files I get the collowing message:
"Cannot delete PREVIE~1.MPG: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and filename"

when I try to delete in command prompt, I also get:
"File not Found"

any other suggestions?

additional info that might be helpful:

the files are mpg files from limewire, but not regular mpgs, but rather the temporary preview files that are created when you preview files that is not fully downloaded.

when i try to delete the files I get the collowing message:
"Cannot delete PREVIE~1.MPG: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and filename"

when I try to delete in command prompt, I also get:
"File not Found"

any other suggestions?

Shutdown LimeWire.

Go to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Incomplete. I assume your username is "Administrator" and your system disk is "C".

Select the file and try to Shift-Delete it.

If failed, Right-Click it, hit Properties, and post a screenshot for the General and Security tabs.

Shutdown LimeWire.

Go to the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Incomplete. I assume your username is "Administrator" and your system disk is "C".

Select the file and try to Shift-Delete it.

If failed, Right-Click it, hit Properties, and post a screenshot for the General and Security tabs.

no dice, screenshot attached as word doc.

The file appears as Read-Only, but if you are the Administrator (are you?) or have the right permissions, you should be able to delete the file. It's strange.

The only documented case (I'm aware of) of a file that NTFS cannot delete, is one that has been created (maliciously or by some rare bug) with a name containing one or more reserved characters. Could you post the full name?

The file appears as Read-Only, but if you are the Administrator (are you?) or have the right permissions, you should be able to delete the file. It's strange.

The only documented case (I'm aware of) of a file that NTFS cannot delete, is one that has been created (maliciously or by some rare bug) with a name containing one or more reserved characters. Could you post the full name?

attached is a screenshot of the five file names i want to delete

Attached is the DJGPP's rm tool. Copy it to some folder in your system path, go to the command line, go to the Incomplete folder and try

rm -i *

. That will ask for a confirmation before delete any file.

If you don't trust my binaries, you will have to search for the "file utils" in the DJGPP's package. Sorry, I don't have a link at hand now.

attached is a screenshot of the five file names i want to delete

:eek:

:mrgreen:

ok -

so I put the rm.exe into the same folder as the files i want to delete.
went to that folder in command prompt and typed 'rm -i *'
and got the following response:
screenshot attached

seriously, though, I still need help with this.....

Try to rename these files (for example in *.bak), then reboot and delete them.

I previously have tried to rename these files to no avail. Although I do not know how to rename them in command prompt. Nor do I understand what you mean by '(for example in *.bak)'. Could you clarify?

1. You may want to try deleting the entire "Incomplete" directory. If you have nothing of importance in there nor any relevant subdirectories, try these steps:

First go into the "C:\Documents and Settings\Craig\Desktop\New Folder\Debug" directory.

Then, type rd /s Incomplete and confirm the deletion.

Again, this will delete ALL files and directories in and below Incomplete.
Based on your screenshot, provided that you had "Show All Files" checked, I don't see any subdirectories in Incomplete.

Don't forget to recreate the directory once complete for your Limewire program.

2. What about using Handle.exe from SysInternals to see if any programs still show a lock on those files?

3. What about run a ChkDsk on your C: drive. I wonder if there could also be directory corruption that needs to be fixed first? Long shot... :)

HTH

--Chris

What version of windows are you running 98,ME,XP?

Hey There,

I had the exact same problem. Everything you described from downloading the file from limewire, when you right click it just says add to playlist and whatever. As well I went through this thread twice trying every suggestion! Anyways I fixed mine and it's pretty simple you'll laugh!!

Try the following:

1. in normal windows click on start --> Run
2. typ in 'cmd' <-- minus the quotes in the open line and click OK
3. change the directory to the current one with the pain in the butt files (ie: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\New Downloads)
4. once in that directory type dir and hit enter
5. make sure the mpg files are in there and now all you have to do is type del and try using just the first word in that LONG file name followed by *.* then hit enter (ie: del girls*.*)

This worked flawlessly for me. It was as simple as that! Hope it works out for you!!

I see why it didn't work. The filenames had untypable characters in them.

Right click on the file, and choose Properties.

Then you can uncheck read only.

After that, you can right click it and delete it.

You never have to mess with the filename that way.

i had a similar problem trying to delete files from filecroc turned out somebody was trying to take from me at the same time i was trying to delete files.
exited filecroc then files deleted no problem.

Hey There,

I had the exact same problem. Everything you described from downloading the file from limewire, when you right click it just says add to playlist and whatever. As well I went through this thread twice trying every suggestion! Anyways I fixed mine and it's pretty simple you'll laugh!!

Try the following:

1. in normal windows click on start --> Run
2. typ in 'cmd' <-- minus the quotes in the open line and click OK
3. change the directory to the current one with the pain in the butt files (ie: C:\Documents and Settings\ME\New Downloads)
4. once in that directory type dir and hit enter
5. make sure the mpg files are in there and now all you have to do is type del and try using just the first word in that LONG file name followed by *.* then hit enter (ie: del girls*.*)

This worked flawlessly for me. It was as simple as that! Hope it works out for you!!

Thanks cookoo4coco's
I had the same problem for two years tried everything to get rid of them. eventually accepted the fact that they were not going to go away . occasionally dabbled at trying this and that and whatever else to no avail.
Until i used your method, straight forward and easy both files are gone thanks again. your da man!!

Hy, some time ago i have same problem with you. Solution : download TuneUp Utilities and it have TuneUp Shredder. Try it! And if don't work are a lot of programs of this kind !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.