Hello,
I am real new to this but I am looking for help with a constant error that keeps popping up everytime I boot up my computer. THe error reads
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiefr40.dll Mode error
I understand that it may have something to do with Adware/Spyware which my kids ran a McAFee free download to scrub our system which they did now this error keeps coming up. Can anyone help
Thanks
:rolleyes: :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi,
Download Ewido and install it. Then run, you will receive a warning message saying "Database not found", click "OK" for this. Next in the main screen, click "Update" and click "Start Update". After the update process, exit from Ewido.

Download CCleaner and install it. Do not run it now.

Reboot in Safe Mode:-
Restart (or switch ON) the PC.
Then, keep tapping the F8 Key.
From the menu that will be displayed, out of which choose Safe Mode and press Enter.

Run Ewido, click on the "Scanner" button in the left menu, then click on the "Start" button.
If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. You can select "Clean" and check the boxes "Perform action with all infections" and "Create encrypted backup" before clicking on OK.

Run CCleaner, click "Options" button and here go to "Settings" tab and uncheck the option "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours". Click OK to exit from the Options. Finally click "Run Cleaner" and choose "Yes" to the warning message.
Next, click the "Issues" button on the left pane, and click "Scan for issues". After the scan is complete, click "Fix selected issues" and click "Yes" to create a back up. Give a file name and click "Save" to save the file. Next click "Fix All selected issues" and click "OK" to the warning message. Exit from CCleaner.

Reboot to normal mode, check whether you receive the error message or not, and post back the results.

Thank you for your information. I followed the instruction but the error now reads WINDOWS\Systerm32\msiefr40.dll
specific module not found

The steps you gave me did not fixs this error but did identify several spyware files. What other options do I have?

Thanks

Open NotePad, and copy the contents of the below "Quote" box:-

regedit /e test1.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
regedit /e test2.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
regedit /e test3.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices"
regedit /e test4.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices"
regedit /e test5.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce"
regedit /e test6.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
regedit /e test7.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Browser Helper Objects"

copy test1.txt + test2.txt + test3.txt + test4.txt + test5.txt + test6.txt + test7.txt = info.txt

del test1.txt
del test2.txt
del test3.txt
del test4.txt
del test5.txt
del test6.txt
del test7.txt

Go to File Menu > Save As, and save the file with the name Test.bat and exit from NotePad.

Double-Click on the file Test.bat, a small DOS type window should open and close immediately.
After this, there would be a file called Info.txt in the same location where Test.bat was present. Open the Info.txt and post it's contents here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.