Setup:
PC desktop
GT5656
Windows vista home premium
3gb ddr2 dual channel
500 gb hard disk
AMD athlon 64x2 6000+
Hello, I turn my computer on and it gives me the "Launch System Repair" and "log into windows vista menu" When I choose either option the computer shuts down. When going to the f8 menu, any option I choose (safe mode etc.) the computer shuts down when it starts loading safe mode. HOWEVER, the computer does not shut down if it remains in that menu or even the BIOS menu and settings screen, I can navigate and do stuff and it stays on. I have tried the following and nothing has worked:
- Put new silver paste on chip and cooling part cleaning first the old one.
- Blew air and cleaned all dirt from inside, specially cooling parts
- Reset BIOS taking battery out
- Tried to boot from recovery CD
- Took out RAM and cleaned
- Tried to make it work with only one RAM stick of 1GB (tip I got from some forum)
- Tested with a different power supply
***There is no beeping codes or abnormal noises

Fans work and temperature seems normal, but only read it when I'm into the BIOS settings, however not sure if it then overheats when trying to load windows.

Any more ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

OK, lets try and see if your system is operational.

Please go to Ubuntu.com. Download and Burn the ISO to Disc.

Once it boots it will ask you if you wish to try or install. Just choose the first option which is to try.

Once fully loaded try to Use the system for a while, and Surf a few websites just to make sure the system it self is alright.

The longer you can keep it running the more reasonable the assumption that your hardware is OK.

Now once that is established respond and we can move forward.

Enjoy.

Hi
Looks like some OS(Operating System) files is missing or Drivers.
you proved this when you stated the PC doesn't want to start when booted normally but does boot normal when booting in safe mode.

When you boot your machine in Safe mode, only the minimum files and drivers is loaded including standard to very basic graphics drivers. this concludes that it can eighter be a driver issue or OS file thats missing. Your best bet would be to Run a normal windows repair

to run A windows repair:
Boot from OS Disk, skip the Recovery Console, choose repair the system. This will replace all windows system files only

NB: you wont loose your data

try this and let us know how it goes, post reply if you need detailed instructions

Hi
Looks like some OS(Operating System) files is missing or Drivers.
you proved this when you stated the PC doesn't want to start when booted normally but does boot normal when booting in safe mode.

When you boot your machine in Safe mode, only the minimum files and drivers is loaded including standard to very basic graphics drivers. this concludes that it can eighter be a driver issue or OS file thats missing. Your best bet would be to Run a normal windows repair

to run A windows repair:
Boot from OS Disk, skip the Recovery Console, choose repair the system. This will replace all windows system files only

NB: you wont loose your data

try this and let us know how it goes, post reply if you need detailed instructions

Wait, I mentioned it does turn off as well when I choose safe mode, just like it does with command prompt and log into windows (the normal way). Yesterday I already tried a different power supply which gave the same results.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.