Hi. I turned on my brother's computer and started up an online game. It crashed and froze and I couldn't restart it, so I forcefully shut it down (held the button and turned it off). I turned it back on and it loaded longer than usual (there was the black screen and the white loading bar). When it logged into the desktop, everything was gone (the personal settings on the desktop). I restarted the computer again and it had the black screen with the white loading bar again. It takes a long time to restart and it's been doing this everytime I restart the computer. My brother and I aren't even sure what the problem is. :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try booting in Safe Mode?

I tried to reboot the computer in safe mode, but the black screen and white loading bar still appears.

What I forgot to mention about that black screen and loading bar is that there are no text above it. Usually, it would have something, like, "You have imporperly shutdown your computer. Please wait for Windows to resume," or something like that.

I will try to reboot it back in normal mode..but, still... :sad:

I tried to reboot the computer in safe mode, but the black screen and white loading bar still appears.

What I forgot to mention about that black screen and loading bar is that there are no text above it. Usually, it would have something, like, "You have imporperly shutdown your computer. Please wait for Windows to resume," or something like that.

I will try to reboot it back in normal mode..but, still... :sad:

yea if it cant boot in safe mode then i have no idea

There is no loading bar when you boot into safe mode ....

while booting keep tapping F8 and you'll end up with a menu .... select Safe boot from there (or you could even try normal mode too) ... if it doesnt help ... try using last known good configuration from the menu.

Hi. I turned on my brother's computer and started up an online game. It crashed and froze and I couldn't restart it, so I forcefully shut it down (held the button and turned it off). I turned it back on and it loaded longer than usual (there was the black screen and the white loading bar). When it logged into the desktop, everything was gone (the personal settings on the desktop). I restarted the computer again and it had the black screen with the white loading bar again. It takes a long time to restart and it's been doing this everytime I restart the computer. My brother and I aren't even sure what the problem is. :sad:

If you are running Windows XP then try booting to the Windows XP CD nd running "chkdsk /r".

Do you mean no icons on the desktop or just like the wallpaper, etc..?

If NO icons then you most likely corrupted the explorer.exe file. Run teh above command and it will fix that. As far as boot time it should fix that also but if it doesn't try checking for any malware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.