is there any way you can open and close ports without having any special software and firewalls etc ?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

does anyone have any ideas on this ?

is there any way you can open and close ports without having any special software and firewalls etc ?

To be as general as the question posed, the answer is yes. Starting a built-in service such as Terminal Services on Windows XP that advertises a port will open the port the service advertises (TS is 3389)...stopping the service will close connections to that port since nothing's listening on the other end. If you would like to be more specific I'll try to give you more specific answers.

Yes, I would like to hear more about this subject, I am monitoring my ports through netstat -an on the cmd interpreter. I would like to close a port manually. How do I do it it?

If you are using netstat then you know that netstat -b shows the executables that are using open ports - they open them and close them as required. You don't say why you want to open or close a port manually... what would you do with it...?
Anyway, I don't need to know that... Windows Firewall will open a port for you... go to the Exceptions tab, Add a Port. And wait for some port scanner out there to hit it... and your sys. It could take no more than a minute.

Here is my situation. I am using A vpn over the internet. I am using a torrent client and I have anti virus and firewall package which is monitoring.
When I don't use the VPN, everything works fine. When I connect the VPN neither one sees each other..I run a test on the torrent client and it says that the port is not open. So it means that the VPN might be accessing it. How to I get one host (VPN) to see one client (Torrent). It must also go through the firewall.

well, the only thing i can think of off the top of my head is to ask if you are behind a router?

i may sound like a noob here but by default a router will only let incoming trafic in if there is first an outgoing request, so if you can get into you router and FORWARD those ports (also known as virtual servers) then you may be able to do this, note that you would have to do this potentially on both ends

Hello!

I found this site while trying to help a friend (seriously)who opened an email attachment from a client and infected his computer. He opened a word doc which caused nowscan4.info to run which in turn infected his computer with the JS.Downloader virus. His McAfee security center was not working properly and did not find the infection.

I rebooted the computer and used Microtrend's online scanner to find and remove the virus. I also found the service it started at boot and removed it. I uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee and it says all is well. Well, all is not well.

I ran a port scanner and it found ports 20 and 1013 (?) open and there is no reason why they should be open. I must have been having a senior moment because I did no run netstat!

There is something else wrong going on with this computer but I don;t know how to find out what. XP Pro (sp3) returns odd user error messages when I try to run something as Administrator saying it cannot be done unless you are an admin. I was running an admin account and the activity (netconfig startup change) did work!

I would really appreciate your guidance on what i should do next.

Thank you!

Hello!

There is something else wrong going on with this computer but I don;t know how to find out what. XP Pro (sp3) returns odd user error messages when I try to run something as Administrator saying it cannot be done unless you are an admin. I was running an admin account and the activity (netconfig startup change) did work!

I would really appreciate your guidance on what i should do next.

Thank you!

You should do two things:
1. download and run Spybot - Search & Destroy©® 1.6.2
It is a free anti-virus program that is very effective.

2. download and run avast! antivirus Home Edition Free for Home Users...

I use both simultaneously, I have never had a problem since...

Let them both one at a time sweep your computer...

This is because the requests from your torrent client are a remote nework. and when your VPN connection is on, it is configure to send these request thru the VPN connection so if you want to solve it, follow this procedure.

Right Click on My Network Paces, go to Properties
Right Click on your VPN Connection, go to Properties
On the Networking Tab, Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and go to properties
Click on Advanced
Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote Network".

That should work!

Here is my situation. I am using A vpn over the internet. I am using a torrent client and I have anti virus and firewall package which is monitoring.
When I don't use the VPN, everything works fine. When I connect the VPN neither one sees each other..I run a test on the torrent client and it says that the port is not open. So it means that the VPN might be accessing it. How to I get one host (VPN) to see one client (Torrent). It must also go through the firewall.

This is because the requests from your torrent client are a remote nework. and when your VPN connection is on, it is configure to send these request thru the VPN connection so if you want to solve it, follow this procedure.

Right Click on My Network Paces, go to Properties
Right Click on your VPN Connection, go to Properties
On the Networking Tab, Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and go to properties
Click on Advanced
Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote Network".

That should work!

Thanks Jazzup, I tried it and it did the trick...This vpn stuff is all new to me...I Like to experiment with new stuff on the computer, call it a learning experiment...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.