Hey, guys;

Just this week I haven't been able to restart or shut-down my PC. It gets as far as... "Windows is shutting down", and just hangs there for ever (at least after returning home from 12 hours of work, it's still trying to shut down).

My sytem:

Dell custom (sorry, I don't know what specific specs you need here).
Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 1.

What I have tried to do:

Disable Norton auto-protect
Scanned for viruses
scanned for adware, trojans, etc

What changes I can think of:

Installed auto-update for XP
Deleted temp internet files

I've gone back to a restore point prior to the update, but that didn't do it.

Is my HD ready to crash? What's going on? :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Dang, I guess I can't edit the post. I should also add that this only applies to "restart" and not a shut down (or the "turn off" option).

Thanks for your time.

Have you closed down all running programs before attempting the restart?

Boot into safe mode and try the restart from there. Does it work?

Are there any relevent errors or messages in your system logs? Use the Event Viewer in your Administrative Tools folder to review the logs.

Have you closed down all running programs before attempting the restart?

Boot into safe mode and try the restart from there. Does it work?

Are there any relevent errors or messages in your system logs? Use the Event Viewer in your Administrative Tools folder to review the logs.

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been trying desperately to find the problem.

I'm not seeing any error log from this, and I'm positive that all programs are off prior to the restart.

No, I haven't tried it from safe mode, because of something I found just this morning...

I suspect viruses ARE the culprit, and to make it worse, they may have infected Norton. I have found and repaired 7 viruses, but the scan keeps hanging in my Windows\installer file. I got my computer to restart after fiddling with the boot ini, but after that, I lost my restore points, and Norton doesn't want to re-enable the auto-protect after I turned it off for the restart. :mad:

Oh well, guess it's time to take ye olde tower in to the pros for a HD cleaning.

BTW, great forum. I've learned quite a bit lurking for the last two days. :)

Have a read through many of the threads in our Security forum- various virus and spyware nasties can indeed do what you describe, including "breaking" your anti-virus programs. It may not quite be time to take the beast to the hospital; by following much of the advice given in the Security forum you might be able to solve the problem yourself and save some $$ in doing so.

sounds like virus / spyware..

if you have system restore thing enabled, and you have a virus at the point that you create a restore point, then that virus will be stored forever.. even after you do a virus scan.

If you think you are infected, you have to discable system restore to do the virus scan, then re-enable it BUT you will loose all your restore points.

for sypware.. teh best one available is adware at www.lavasoft.de and its free

good luck

Foster,

As you requested, I've moved your latest post here (with the HJT log) into a new thread of the same name in the Security forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.