hi guys...i want to know tht how can we disable or append certain things in XP,tho i have used tweaks but cudnt find anything useful.

like whenever i install ne s/w start menu shows new programs, & error reporting disable, & auto read CD feature when inserted etc....

my system confgrtn is as follows:

intel P3 650Mhz
256 MB RAM
80GB + 10GB hdd
CDROM and CDRW(samsung)

as u can see my PC's configuration is not that advanced tht it can handle multi programs at a time.therefore i want to make optimum use of my CPU by cancellling all the unnecessary programmes which run at the back of the system.well i havnt got any error problems with that tho but it works a lot sluggish sometimes.well i am not a graphic savvy and use minimum graphics to my requirements which r sufficient to watch video and listen to audio. so i can compromise on that if i have to, to make the speed good.

it wud be really a gr88 help if u wud give it in details.
thanx a lot in advance.hope i wud get a reply very soon..

till then keep rokin guys...u doin a gr88 job.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

To turn off Error Reporting:
Click Start, then Run. Type services.msc. In the window that appears, scroll down the list until you see a service called Error Reporting Service. Double click it. In the properties box that appears, next to Startup Type, select Disabled and hit OK. You can do this for some other services as well, as long as they're not essential.

To stop the start menu saying "New program installed":
Right click start and select properties. Click customize. Select the Advanced tab and uncheck 'Highlight newly installed programs'. Click OK.

To turn off autorun:
Go into My Computer, and right click on it. Select properties then open the AutoPlay panel. For each type of content choose 'select an action to perform' and then click Take no action.

Hope this helps,
UberAAZ.

thanx uberaaz,tht was a gr88 help indeed.
i want to know which programmes should be stopped from being running at the back of the system.

like svchost.exe,explorer.exe...........etc

sometimes explorer.exe consumes whole CPU usage (100%) when there is not even a single programme running on PC.

thanx uberaaz,tht was a gr88 help indeed.
i want to know which programmes should be stopped from being running at the back of the system.

like svchost.exe,explorer.exe...........etc

sometimes explorer.exe consumes whole CPU usage (100%) when there is not even a single programme running on PC.

Both svchost and explorer.exe are critical system processes. DO NOT terminate these.svchost is used for launching various system services for windows. End that and you may end up doing an unplanned reboot or compromising your system.

Explorer.exe is your Windows Shell...the start menu, desktop et al. Disable it and you won't be able to do much.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.