Hi, just got the dreaded BSOD stating Kernel Data Inpage Error. Happened to me almost 2 weeks ago and I don't even know where to begin finding what's causing it because I don't even know why or what causes it to happen.

I've analysed the latest dump file from the last crash and here's what I got

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 26/1/2011 10:08:49 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7A (0xFFFFF6FC50016830, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0xCBC00880, 0xFFFFF8A002D06000)
Error: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupt:
C:\Windows\Minidump\011711-16286-01.dmp
C:\Windows\Minidump\012611-24304-01.dmp

Anyone can help me to begin troubleshooting this? I'm not sure if the previous crash is similar but I'd believe so... :(

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

The last time I got BSOD. I check the RAM module. 1 piece was faulty and after changing it. It works fine now. Maybe you should try it.

Member Avatar for W1ND0W5

Ever heard of memtest86+? Try running a few passes of it. Might help you get to the bottom. If not then a new hard disk could be on the cards. As long as your computer or it's parts are under warranty you could get them replaced for free. If you have vista or 7 then try Windows Memory Diagnostics.

Will do that and update here. :)

Right.

I was doing the Windows Memory Diagnostic, but it got stuck on the 3rd pass at 21%.

I'm not sure if it's indicative of anything and I'll be trying the memtest tonight while I sleep.

If it stops, wait it out. Wait half an hour or so. If no movement you have bad ram, but don't buy more until you use memtest.

Ran memtest, 3 passes with no error.

So far, all has been good lately except the last crash. I updated my video card drivers, just incase. But otherwise, nothing much has changed.

Is there any recommended settings for the memtest?

EDIT: I'll run it again for a longer time because I read that it gets better at detecting errors with more passes

Ran it again with 12 passes and no errors.

What's the next step from here?

Thanks. :)

Which model is your computer and what hardware do you have installed in it. I have received this error in the past on my computer and according to Microsoft it was due to how Windows was reading my hard drive upon wakeup.

I would check the disk for errors if you can get into windows.

It's a DIY setup. Here's the specs

Processor and MB: i5-760 + MSI P55 GD85
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston DDR3
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
Graphics: Palit GTX 460 768mb
PSU: Andyson F650

Will check for disk errors now... :)

Nice specs! Is this a gaming PC? Anyways, back to business, post any results here. You don't appear to be using RAID or SCSI, so that rules out bad termination/configuration/*cough* PROPRIETARY DRIVERS.

Yeah, it is. Thanks. :) Although, DIY leaves me clueless...

Ran a disk scan last night and while it was scanning, it was fixing alot of bad sectors. Now, I can't find the logs for it and when I woke up, it gave me a "AHCI Port 3 error, press F1 to resume". And it started up normally. o.o

I'll try to run Samsung's diagnostic tools on it, but it's the holidays, shops are closed, and I don't have a spare CD around. Now I do get a naggy feeling that it really could be the HDD, and with my recent google searches, Samsung isn't a very good HDD manufacturer and I might consider getting some other brands to replace it instead.

Also, if it mattered, Windows just prompted me that the HDD might be faulty and advised for a backup. Would there be reasonable grounds to get a replacement then?

I would say you might need a new hard disk. But I also heard that Samsung carry a 3 years warranty. If its still under warranty, go and claim one. If nor I would recommend a Seagate.

I would say you might need a new hard disk. But I also heard that Samsung carry a 3 years warranty. If its still under warranty, go and claim one. If nor I would recommend a Seagate.

I'm currently running Samsung's ESTOOL on it and the Check S.M.A.R.T part didn't pass. So far, in the initial 10% there has been a load of Error: LBA XXXXXXXXXX appearing during the surface scanning. I'm assuming these are the bad sectors and there is a whole lot of them. I'm also assuming this is definitive of some kind of damage to the HDD?

Presently will be making arrangements for an RMA and also getting another smaller capacity HDD to install the OS while having the old drive as a storage-only/backup drive. :)

Will update here as soon as I get everything sorted out. Thanks to everyone who helped. If there's anymore troubleshooting that needs to be done, it'll be great if it was posted here. :)

Hope you have a backup, 'cuz you're gonna need it! Yeah, you need a new hard drive :( try a Western Digital. Don't worry about troubleshooting the issue. Its what we're here for :)

I've gotten a spanking new 500gb WD Caviar Black as a temporary substitute before doing a RMA. :)

So far, all is good and smooth. I suppose my issue was solved? Thanks alot again :)

Hello

The last three days I have experienced some troubles with blue screen saying "kernel data inpage error"
Last time it happened I was doing anything and my CPU went to 100%, no program was running. When I tryed to open a folder its design looked like some old XP OS and when I tryed to run some program it froze like there was not enough memory. A short while later everithing froze and my computer was not responsive. Today i have had three blue screens saying "kernel data inpage error".
At the moment I am using my SD card as extra RAM with ReadyBoost and everything works so far.
My computer is about 5 years old Asus notebook. Original OS was Vista, now I am using windows 7 Ultimate
I also included my five last minidump files (all from today)

I look forward to hearing from you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.