I have a problem with my Display properties - i fired up my new laptop running XP the other day and without me changing the settings, the screen resolution changed and i can't get it changed back.

I believe my pixel setup was 1280 x 1024 which gives the larger size of icon but is now fixed at 1400 x 1050 giving the smallest size. When i try to change to a lower res. it doesn't change the size of icon but does change the pixel no. if i'm making any sense.

I dont think i'll ever get used to these small icons so any help to get me back to normal settings would be appreciated.

thanks

yaduks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You can change the Icon size by going into Control Panel/Display/Appearence Tab/select Advanced button, then in the item selection, select icon, and next to that you should be able to select the size of the icon. You will need to experiment with the sizes, and perhaps the Horz. and Vert. Icon Spacing. Hope this helps.

Hello,
You can also do the same settings from widnows registry.
MY Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\
Here you will have many options to change including the Icon size and spacing.
Dont do it if you dont know what you are doing.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried out these options but i am not getting the same display as i had previously.

I am more interested in knowing why the system would have changed the setup in the first place as if i can figure that out then i might be able to sort the problem.

Any ideas why the resolution would change on its own and why i can't seem to change back to the original settings by using the Screen Resolution parameters?

thanks.

To me there may be two problems
1: You might have installed a software that uses the Graphics Card or updates its Drivers.
2: There may be DirectX problem.

I think u can restore the system to a previous date, this may also change to your desired resolution.
Or Reinstall the Graphics card drivers or DirectX or update to the latest DirectX version

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.