Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I have a Gateway Pentium 4, 1400 mhz, intel with windows me.
We started having alot of problems with error messages, so finally as a last resort, we uninstalled windows and reinstalled it. We noticed that alot of the error messages seemed to have to do with Norton Anti-virus so we got rid of it and got Trend Micro. As soon as it was installed, the comp got very, very slow including the mouse, making it very jerky, we noticed that it added a bunch of different things to the start up and immediately thought that was the problem as the comp and mouse are fine until we go online then it all starts. We emailed them a list of what was on start up and asked them if all this was really needed, they said yes. We uninstalled it and the comp is now a bit better, but the mouse is still very jerky.
Can anyone please help, we've never had this problem before.

Thank You, Marie

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

is it a wireles mouse, with batteries in it ,if so change them

There is an issue with removing Norton. There's actually something that stays in the registry - not sure exactly what, but Ive had this problem. There is some support on Norton's website that lets you completely remove all of its applications. Its called the NavRemoval tool
Click this link

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606?Open&src=sg&docid=2003033109412406&nsf=nav.nsf&view=8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/05a6a803c1e5e83588256cfa00608836?opendocument&prod=norton%20antivirus&ver=2003%20for%20windows%202000/me/98&dtype=&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl==

peace

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I have a Gateway Pentium 4, 1400 mhz, intel with windows me.
We started having alot of problems with error messages, so finally as a last resort, we uninstalled windows and reinstalled it. We noticed that alot of the error messages seemed to have to do with Norton Anti-virus so we got rid of it and got Trend Micro. As soon as it was installed, the comp got very, very slow including the mouse, making it very jerky, we noticed that it added a bunch of different things to the start up and immediately thought that was the problem as the comp and mouse are fine until we go online then it all starts. We emailed them a list of what was on start up and asked them if all this was really needed, they said yes. We uninstalled it and the comp is now a bit better, but the mouse is still very jerky.
Can anyone please help, we've never had this problem before.

If you have not found out already, this is a problem with VeriSign digital certificates. A bunch of them expired at once. As a result, every time someone updates their Norton virus files, it sends a request to the VeriSign server for validation -- the server is so swamped by these requests that it effectively is DDoSed (distributed denial of service) as if under attack, and the Symantec software is so poorly written that it can't handle the blow-back, hence the slowdown and instability. Time to move to the free Grisoft AVG, I think.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.