A user forgot their password on their computer that has Windows 2000 installed.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get into this operating system so their machine can be used? :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

A user forgot their password on their computer that has Windows 2000 installed.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get into this operating system so their machine can be used? :cry:

There are some password breaking programs out there that will do it, I had one a while back from Russia I believe. If it is part of a domain then you can reset it.

Hey, Rasputinj. Thanks for responding. This computer is no longer part of the domain. It is now a standalone computer that was part of a network. The user forgot their password. I just want to make the computer usable without being part of the network. Thanks.

Can you not change it in the BIOS?? I noticed that there is an option to change the password there, but I don't know if you need the old password to make it work.

Change a Win2000 password in the Bios? noooo. There are 2 kinds of passwords in the Bios, the User and the Bios password. The User password is for when you start the computer and you have to put in a password even before windows ever starts. The second one is for getting IN to the Bios. And guys, you should always have everybody's account and password in somekind of database or atleast on paper, quote: When an administrator has no backup, he has no job.

make a partion on the drive and install win 2000.
there is a site that tells you how to do this. i cant remember the site though.
do a google search on win2000 password hacks I believe you will find one there

There's some programs out there that can do this such as ERD Commander and it costs like $3000/per license! I think the price is so high to keep the number of individuals capable of comprimising ANY NT based machine at a minimum. With that said...here's the link to how to do it for free, if you can't figure out how to use the simple linux construct to mount the SAM then you're pretty much left with shelling out the loot: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Good luck...I've used the utility and it does work - it's also known to blow up the SAM so you've been warned.

Thanks Antioed. Your information was very useful. I was able to get into the computer and create a new password for the user. Again Thanks:cheesy:

There's some programs out there that can do this such as ERD Commander and it costs like $3000/per license! I think the price is so high to keep the number of individuals capable of comprimising ANY NT based machine at a minimum. With that said...here's the link to how to do it for free, if you can't figure out how to use the simple linux construct to mount the SAM then you're pretty much left with shelling out the loot: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Good luck...I've used the utility and it does work - it's also known to blow up the SAM so you've been warned.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.