I am having trouble with my mouse. At times it is not functioning and it requires that I unplug and replug it again. Sometimes this works the first time and at other times I have to remove, juggle etc before it is functioning again.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 series. Is it possible to replace the mouse socket only or is it integrated with the motherboard. I know that I can find this out by opening the case but this means disconnecting all leads and moving the computer from where it now sits.

If someone can answer it would save me the trouble of doing the above.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Most likely, yes, the connector that you are plugging your mouse into is attached to the motherboard.

I'm guessing that your mouse uses the PS/2 connector. Have you tried a different mouse to make sure that it's not just the mouse and not the port?

If the port is indeed broken, just buy a new USB mouse and avoid the port entirely.

Most likely, yes, the connector that you are plugging your mouse into is attached to the motherboard.

I'm guessing that your mouse uses the PS/2 connector. Have you tried a different mouse to make sure that it's not just the mouse and not the port?

If the port is indeed broken, just buy a new USB mouse and avoid the port entirely.

Chrisbliss18,

Are you saying that I can buy a USB mouse and plug it into a USB port and all will be solved?

Thank you for the fast response.

Indeed.

USB mice work just as well, if not better, than PS/2 mice. Buy yourself a USB mouse that you like, plug it in, and get on with your life :).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.