I've read 6 different articles regarding the size of the page file on Windows XP, and all have given me vastly different opinions on the matter. I was hoping that one of DaniWeb's fine experts could finally put this debate to rest!

I have 1 gigabyte of RAM (2 x 512 MB sticks), I use Windows XP Professional, and for years I've believed that the virtual memory should be 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. I've read in all 6 of the aforementioned articles that this has no basis in truth. That seemed to be the only point that the articles could agree upon. What do you reckon I should set it to? Or what have you personally set yours to, and how is your choice working out for you?

Thanks for reading :)

Contributors
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by MAD_DOG

Honestly being a Network Administrator for years I tend this to be the best way to setup your page file.

Kill your page file set it to 0min/0max. Restart your computer, don't do anything expect open Disk Defragmenter. Defrag your drive once done set your Min/Max to double what you have in pyhsical ram restart. I find this to have the most performance and the best way to configure your page file if wanted to configure. Just my two cents.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.