I've read 6 different articles regarding the size of the page file on Windows XP, and all have given me vastly different opinions on the matter. I was hoping that one of DaniWeb's fine experts could finally put this debate to rest!

I have 1 gigabyte of RAM (2 x 512 MB sticks), I use Windows XP Professional, and for years I've believed that the virtual memory should be 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. I've read in all 6 of the aforementioned articles that this has no basis in truth. That seemed to be the only point that the articles could agree upon. What do you reckon I should set it to? Or what have you personally set yours to, and how is your choice working out for you?

Thanks for reading :)

Honestly being a Network Administrator for years I tend this to be the best way to setup your page file.

Kill your page file set it to 0min/0max. Restart your computer, don't do anything expect open Disk Defragmenter. Defrag your drive once done set your Min/Max to double what you have in pyhsical ram restart. I find this to have the most performance and the best way to configure your page file if wanted to configure. Just my two cents.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.