I just replaced my hardrive in my XP box and put my old drive in a external case. Now I can't get to my Documents and Settings\user name it says is not Accessible, Access Denied when trying to access file on old drive. The old drive was XP Pro SP1 now I'm XP Pro SP2 with the same user name on both drives in Documents and Settings. What did I do wrong?
:rolleyes: :?:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What exactly do you mean you put it in a external case. Did you make the internal drive external? Then replace the internal. If you did how did you do it? I didnt even knw yo ucould make an internal external ;). Let me know

-T

What exactly do you mean you put it in a external case. Did you make the internal drive external? Then replace the internal. If you did how did you do it? I didnt even knw yo ucould make an internal external ;). Let me know

-T

Yes I made the internal drive, external. I put the old drive into a ADS Firewire 1394b case. That is the one that I can't go into my old "Documents and Settings/user name" folder. I want to get all my favorites, files, mp3's and pic's without having to put it back in and copy to cd or thumb drive.

Reset the NTFS access permissions on all flders on your old hard drive.
More info here: http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?p=171352#post171352

I can't do that with the dire not as the boot drive right? I don't even get the options called out the security settings. I' at XP PRO SP2 on my new Op Sys and XP Pro SP1 on the drive that I need the files off of. If I have to I will put the drive back in as the boot and copy the files that I need.

No, it will work. Click on Tools>Folder Options. Click the View tab. Scroll down and remove the checkbox from "Enable Simple File Sharing". This will enable the Security Tab.

Thanks, you were a great help. Now if I could only remember what I did in 2 months.

Now that I can't help you with, dude. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.