If this is in the wrong section, sorry, can't find a better place (feel free to move this post)

Hi, I am hoping to get some advice on how to further proceed with and issue I am having on my 1 month old self-built computer.

Issue: My whole system "stutters" or "glitches" on a seemingly random basis. This manifests by causing the audio to make a a "stutter" noise and locking up everything; mouse, keyboard, programs, etc. Each individual stutter last 1/8 to 1/2 a sec (approximately), and can chain for lengthy periods of time. During gaming, causes severe lag spikes (80ms->950ms). Has occurred during Windows log on and log off (annoying to hear log off sound stutter). Does not seem to be trigger by anything specific.

System:
i7 2600k (overclocked to 47x100)
16 GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS GeForce 570 Fermi
ASUS p8p67 Deluxe Motherboard
Crucial 256GB SSD
Windows 7
CoolerMaster HAF X
Coolermaster 1000W PS

Attempted Solutions:
I have tried goggling similar problems and followed several fixes.
1) Update all drivers
-no help
2) Reverting all OC settings
-default BIOS, still occurs
3) Performing a "clean boot" (msconfig -> select startups)
-thought I had success, went away for awhile but came back
-disabled all start up options and/or services on different occasions, still had issue occur
4) Tested all RAM individually
-happened with each 4GB stick
5) Run Windows Update
-Really?!?!?!?!?

Other Thoughts:
-This issue occured once in a blue moon when I first built my computer, but I chalked it up to OC issues, until it came back with a vengeance.
-Running CPUZ and other monitoring software, I don't see any corresponding hikes in anything. The RAM usage stays constant, there does not seem to be any relevant processor core spikes whether in usage or temp (Core 1 does fluctuate a bit but seems to do that anyway)
-This issue really disrupts internet activity and will often interfere with streaming sources (youtube, pandora, DAY9)
-Firefox seems to crash alot as well, but that is the only program that seems to.
-I have tried hard to find a consistent trigger (if nothing else than to be able to have local cpu shop see it, since it can be random), but really can't. On that note, there may be an audio component since my fiance used photoshop without issue. The glitch, however, can be hard to see since it happens often but very quickly, and is easily noticed with constant audio that correspondingly glitches.
-If it is audio related, I will have a hell of a time testing it as the mouse glitching is very difficult to notice alone.

Mandatory Noobish Begging:
If anyone had any thoughts I would really welcome them. Either possible causes or further tests would be nice. I am flat out of things to try.I will take into the local computer shop (who are pretty good) but I don't need it to go away when they look at it and tell me I'm crazy :s

Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,
ImperiumLaw

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi and welcome to Daniweb...

You were missing some solutions that may be involved with that shutter problem of yours...

Did you try any of this by any means:-
- Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Graphic Card Compability
- Motherboard (Heatsink and all)

Although you have succesfully made a custom made computer doesn't mean that all hardware is compatible especially to your motherboard.

This may sound like a stupid question but mind asking... where did the shutter sound coming from anyway??

Thanks for the fast reply.

I am not sure what you mean...

I guess I forgot to add:
-Two 1TB Western Digital HDD (1TB DATA, 1TB EZ Backup)
-I am not sure about motherboard graphic card compatibility, could you clarify?
-Noctua NH-C14 140mm Fan

The stutter comes from whatever speakers are hooked up, whether Logitech 2.1 speakers plugged into the back or headphones hooked up to the front port. The stutter will interrupt whatever is being output to the speakers and then the regular audio comes back.

I mean from my last post did you try to test all the missing solution you posted earlier aside from RAM and all?

So you were saying that shutter sound comes from the system itself, not the hardware sound that normally heard from outside ie. buzzing sound and stuff...

There may be some hardware incompability stuff going on around here but not sure what and where...

- Annoying shutter sound -- more like a sound hardware problem
- Huge lag spikes -- have something to do with networking and program conflict
- Hang glitches -- not sure

Try this... to confirm it was windows problem over hardware
If you can, might try download Ubuntu .iso files from it's webpage. It's about 600MB in size so you can either skip this or take your time.

After download, double-click on the files to invoke 'Burn cd' process. Insert a blank cd and burn it to make a bootable live cd. After done, reboot and insert the cd to cd/dvd drive and boot from it. You may need to press correspondence key to oot from it.

Select default and it should boot an independent OS. Test it out whether the shutter sound still there... Live cd has low performance so bear it it.

or try this first

this is much simple to test...
unplugged all hardware cable/card from the motherboard, leaving behind a power supply cable, 1x4G RAM, and 1 HDD that has Win7 running. Make sure you done this after you shutdown your computer

After implying method above, try rebooting again and this time just use a headset to test it out.

I will give that a shot with ubuntu.

For the other test, I have windows on the SSD so I would leave that pluggged in.

Thanks for the advice

No problem.
I want to hear the results from you soon so please post here if it pass or fail so we can proceed to another procedure...

On another forum, someone posted that they was pretty sure it was an issue with the link power management and the Crucial M4 series Solid State Drive. Looking at this page, http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx seemed to describe the problem I am having and I thought I might try the firmware update. Looking at the guide for it, the process seems precise and difficult, with incorrect implementation causing data loss. Thoughts?

When doing something like updating bios/firmware always has risk so implement that they'll not responsible in case anything's got wrong with your computer afterwards. I have to say that might be the solution for you but I never try to update firmware for SSD before so I can't give correct step-by-step instruction to guide you. Use the release guide to help you out

Also check the firmware version of your SSD before updating. Wrong moves could cost you a no-warranty SSD. It's not hard to do it but you have to be careful when doing it... Good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.