I just reformat PC, but the PC won't shut down. All drivers installed properly.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

that can be common with winxp ,did you do all the windows updates ,right up to sp3

i have tried holding down the power button but it does not work becuase when i switch my computer back on it just pulls uo the same screen. i just installed imvu and this window had come up for it and i havent been able to close it or shut down or log off etc. please help!

This sounds more of a hardware issue since even holding the ON/OFF switch doesn't function as it is supposed to. Make sure you are pressing the ON/OFF switch all the way in and also hold it for at least 7 seconds to be certain that it doesn't have a delayed power down feature.
If that still doesn't help, disconnect the power cord from the back of the PC (where it goes into the Power Supply Unit) and keep it disconnected for at least 10 seconds before connecting and turning on the PC. See if that resolves the issue afterward.
If that didn't help and this PC was working fine before and also you have not done any changes or updates to BIOS and Windows then the problem could be the power switch or the motherboard.

If pressing and holding the power switch turns the system off then you know yours is a software issue. Since this is a fresh install, my guess is either your BIOS (Power Related settings) and the version of Windows you are using is not compatible or at least one of the device drivers is the culprit.
- Assuming, you have not messed with the BIOS settings and this was NOT a re-install of Windows but an actual fresh install from scratch, was it shutting down, right after you install the operating system but not the drivers?
If you have not tried that and willing to test this, would be wise to do another fresh install and try shutting down before you install any of the drivers to see if that worked.
If it works, then install one device driver at-a-time then reboot and/or shutdown afterward to find the one that could be causing this.

The problem is with the hardware. To be precise, its with the motherboard, try changing the cables or get the motherboard fixed. If its too expensive....its better to just live with it, get more out of it and then get a new one. All the best though.

The problem is with the hardware. To be precise, its with the motherboard, try changing the cables or get the motherboard fixed. If its too expensive....its better to just live with it, get more out of it and then get a new one. All the best though.

Of course, you can't be sure, as it may also be a wiring issue (a cable that is making a connection where it shouldn't or a molten isolation). But I think you're right: it is most likely the motherboard that has a bad connection somewhere. Hard (very hard) to fix yourself it seems :)
Just to be sure, check the wirings, or take the computer to a hardware store.

What OS are you using?

Kind regards,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.