Well, we have the hard drive reformated, but have developed a new problem. As I mentioned, my mother's computer has Windows ME. We can't get the resolution to change. It's at 16 colors and the 640 yadda yadda resolution. How would I go about fixing this? Thanks for any help in advance :)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You need to install the drivers for the video card. Do you have the CD's, specifically the Video card/Graphics card one? If you do it should be easy to fix. If not we will have to detrmine what you have, download the drivers then intstall.

Ok, I've looked through all of her disks, and I can't find one for her video card. I don't even know if it originally came with one, since I know Dell doesn't always give you all the disks you need. I have an older Dell, so this I know LOL I will go into the display and see if I can find the drivers for the video card she has.

If, you find the Vid card Manufacturer and name, I would help you look :).

Well, now this is really interesting. When I did a properties on the Vid card, this is what I got:
Standard PCI Graphic Adapter
Am I looking in the wrong place for it? I've never had to look up the Vid card info before LOL :cheesy:

With my dell laptop there came a CD with all of the drivers.
Is there a disk with "Drivers & Utilities" on it?

Also, if you know the name of the card, try www.driverguide.com.

The only drivers and utilites disk there is, is for the modem. Which I can't even use until I get the resolution up. I'm going to go to the Dell website and see if I can find anything that might help UGH! LOL

try lookin on the video card itself, if that doesn't work go to Start, Programs, Accesories, System Tools, System Information. Then go into components then display. Under name it should tell you what type of video card you have. Then go to manufacturers webite and download drivers from there.

try lookin on the video card itself, if that doesn't work go to Start, Programs, Accesories, System Tools, System Information. Then go into components then display. Under name it should tell you what type of video card you have. Then go to manufacturers webite and download drivers from there.

Sysinfo only queries the drivers installed for the hardware info. hence, it will show "Standard PCI VGA bla bla bla"

The best way to find your manufacturer is to simply look at the GFX card.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.