Hi friends,
i have forgotten my BIOS Passowrd
how to recover it or kindly provide me the steps to bypass or remove the BIOS password

thanks for your time.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

What computer have you got?

This may not be easily fixed. You may need to reset the computer to factor settings - losing everything on it. I have a system donated to my grandson that has a BIOS password set, and it cannot be reset wtihout contacting the manufacturer and providing a one-time secret key, which if they wish, they can use to generate a reset password... :-( So far, no such luck! As far as I'm concerned, unless we physically replace the BIOS and flash memory, we are toast!

you have to "brute force" the password...
ophcrack
Deft
links provided in post above... not easy but will do it for you.

The BIOS password? Before running cracks for that, just clear your CMOS memory on the mobo; that's where it is commonly stored.
But you might just have a mobo or laptop with the pw stored in non-volatile flash memory, or even on the hdd... search for your model.... in which case google for solutions.

you have to "brute force" the password...
ophcrack
Deft
links provided in post above... not easy but will do it for you.

We are talking about the BIOS password, not the user accounts stored on the Operating system.

So far, no such luck! As far as I'm concerned, unless we physically replace the BIOS and flash memory, we are toast!

No matter what process you perform to wipe out the BIOS password, its not going to create any issues with the data stored on the hard drive, unless we were talking about drive encryption.

commented: you're actually the only one whose answers made any sense. +6

If you're using either a desktop or a laptop, you might want to check the manufacturer's website or even ask them yourself on which jumper needs to be shorted in order to reset the BIOS password. The only information it resets are the one that are on the BIOS/CMOS and is usually fixed by just setting it to the defaults.

If it's a modern laptop there is no way he could forget the bios/system pw because if set he needed it every time he powered up.... anti theft. Lappie mobos have much more stringent bios security thean desktops [I wonder why?...]. I understand that flashing desktop and very old lappie bioses will clear passwords, but not if it is stored off-chip in NVRAM. And you must have a bios that allows power-on flashing. Same goes with CMOS clearing. If I'm ever bedridden for weeks I might play with this.
Some interesting? stuff happening over at mydigitallife wih bios recovery boot block flashing. Then there are EEPROM readers, but I note that a lot of bios chips are soldered these days and require a heat gun to remove - the chip can literally be toast. I don't want ever to have to solder a new one in place.

1)I think you can try clear using jumper. On the computer motherboard locate the BIOS clear or password jumper or dip switch and change its position. This jumper is often labeled CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, JCMOS1, CLR, CLRPWD, PASSWD, PASSWORD, PSWD or PWD as shown in the picture to the right. To change the jumper remove it from the two pins its currently on so that it covers the pin that is not covered. For example, in the picture to the right pins 1 and 2 are covered, you'd remove the jumper and put it on pins 2 and 3.
2) you can use a BIOS password utility. There are utilities designed to help bypass CMOS passwords. An example of a great utility to decrypt or bypass BIOS passwords is the PC BIOS Security and Maintenance toolkit.

Wish you success !

Remove the battery on the motherboard for about a minute and then return it it should work like a charm.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.