I have dell dimension e520. It was working fine then sudenly I got blue screen. took it to Fry's for repair and paid $70.00 but after a week they told me the mother board is damaged . I bought a new motherboard but it did not solve the problem. I thought may be the processor is damaged and bought a new E600 Dual core 2.8 GHZ 2m shared L2 Cache 1066 FSB LGA 775 65 W Dual- Core(SLGU9)Processor . I read about this new processor and every article said it is compatible with the original one.After installing evrything I turned on the computer but nothing hapened.only black screen. no boot procecess or dell start up. just black screen. please tell me what the problem might be. I use window XP professional . I love this desktop and want to repair it. please help I do appreciat any input.
thanks
Ray

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

First rule for Dell computers - always send it in to Dell for repair. Do that now, and demand your $$ back from Fry's. If what they did causes additional costs from Dell, demand them back also. Dell's repair/replacement policies are usually quite reasonable, and you are guaranteed to have a functional system when you get it back.

In my view, you do not need to spend Dollars and go to Dell instead it only requires little bit troubleshooting. All you have to do is to check how many rams are located inside your System Unit. If they are more than one, check whether all of them are of the same brand/company if not then use only one RAM of any company which is largest in size(has most capacity) and run your computer. If still it not runs, then run your computer via your OS DVD/CD. If it also not works then try checking your HDD in someone's computer or try using another HDD in yours' computer.

mmm... but that processor, E6300? Dual core 2.8 GHZ 2m shared L2 Cache 1066 FSB LGA 775 65 W Dual- Core(SLGU9)Processor [pentium] is not going to run in it. 45nm slice. BIOS won't recognise it.

Put your original CPUback in, boot into safe mode and check the condition of your hard drive with hdtune.
Testing the harddrive should have been the first thing you tried!!

I stand by what I said originally. In my experience (about 15 years) with Dell, they don't overcharge for repairs - board replacements or whatever, and you know that it will work when you get it back. If you are an engineering genius (like my grandson), then you might try to fix it yourself. I am a serious EE and I don't bother to futz with this stuff - it just isn't worth my time! Also, although my grandson can do miraculous stuff with systems and motherboards, occasionally he screws the pooch, and needs me to bail him out (usually to the tune of a couple hundred $$)... :-) That said, most of the time his soldering skills are up to the challenge!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.