Had a problem with PestTrap, an annoying malware. I removed it but I believe it messed up my computer setting. The icons on my desktop are showing the color of background. My question is how do I restore back to the transparent icons?

Please note that my "Use drop shadow for icon label..." is already checked. The checkboxes in Display/Desktop/customize/web are all unchecked. I cannot figure out what else to do beside re-install Windows.

Thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Nytrose

Have you tried changing the settings ,rebooting the computer and then changing back the setting back to what you want to accomplish

Go to Control Panel, System Properties. Click Advanced at the top. Under Performance click the Settings button. Under Visual Effects put a dot in Adjust for best appearance. Apply the settings.

Thanks for the replies, but nothing works at this point.
Guess the alternative is to match the icon color with the wallpaper

You might need to update your video card settings. Also try creating a new user profile.

Thanks for the replies, but nothing works at this point.
Guess the alternative is to match the icon color with the wallpaper

I have the same problem and have tried the same solutions in the thread.

did you find out how to get your transparent icons back? if so, would you pleae tell me? I have been trying for hours and I do not know what else to do.
Thank you

This worked for me:

A) Right click desktop > Properties > Desktop > Cuztomize Desktop > Web > Uncheck ALL Boxes

B) Control Panel > Accessibility Options > Adjust the contrast for text and colors on your screen > Uncheck "Use High Contrast"

You should be all good. Of course, this assumes you already have "Use drop shadow for icon label..." already checked.

Part B is what solved my problem, since I had already done A.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.