I have a Dell laptop, that someone removed the HDD and dropped it. The laptop doesn't boot. So I rigged it up to my PC and unsuprisingly found that it had passed on. I replaced and upgraded the new HDD installed Windows on it with my regular PC, but although BIOS/CMOS recognised the new HDD the laptop will not boot from it. There are no I/O drives or a docking station. The BIOS on the laptop is Revision BIOS A09, what information I got when I googled it was not good, it seems A09 can't accept upgrades, and will only accept new hardware if it's like for like. The old HDD is an IBM Travelstar 20GB, the new one is a Samsung 40GB. Could the fact I installed windows on it using my PC may be the problem, or is it as I fear I need an identical replacement. Thirdly if there is a laptop wizard out there can I still get it up and running with what I've got, can you please help, thanx
Eamonn.
PS paid £50 for the new HDD 'ouch'

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The fact that you installed Windows on the HDD using your PC is certainly the problem. During OS install certain configuration settings are made specific to the machine Windows is installed on.

You need to format the hard drive and install windows while the HDD is connected to your Laptop

I think I might know the solution.

With slightly older Dell machines there's often an option to select a dos file system or a non-dos file system in the BIOS.
If your hard drive has been formatted previously with the NTFS and the bios is set to DOS, it will not recognize the data on the drive.
Enter bios and change the option.
I'm almost certain this is your problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.