Hi, I am running ME and everytime I try to start IE I get an MSIESH.DLL error and I can't start the program. Do I have a virus?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I would first try running IE setup and do a repair of the installation. Are you currently running any antivirus software such as Norton or McAffee? Do a full virusscan. It's also a good idea to pick yourself up a trojan scanner somewhere. I'm sure someone else around here could recommend a good one (since I don't know).

Hi, I am running ME and everytime I try to start IE I get an MSIESH.DLL error and I can't start the program. Do I have a virus?

Yes, probably CoolWebSearch or one of its variants. You can get more information and a download link for CWShredder from http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

I would run CWShredder first in this case, but you should also read my Malware article, linked below. At some point, download and run HijackThis. Note: read the instructions on the linked page very carefully (the main download link is broken -- use one of the mirrors). Do not actually remove anything from your startup or Registry until you have posted the log that it generates and are given explicit instructions on what to remove.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.