Hi,

Laptop: IBM T40

Windows xp SP2

Takes a very long time to log in and when it finally does it says that windows explorer needs to close with InPageError: P1: c000009c P2: 00000003. I am unable to get to anything except the task manager and even that does not let me run anything from it and eventually crashes as well. I can start in safe mode with command prompt and I have been trying to do things in there but I'm not an expert at computers so I'm not getting very far. I have tried the sfc /scannow but it does not work and the chkdsk found a few bad parts and then had errors of its own. My goal is just to get the data off of this computer so that I can wipe it and start over. I have an external drive and I'm not able to access it from the command prompt. I think I need to mount it manually but I do not know how to do that, can someone help me?

R

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by raf_78

did you trying booting up your xp cd and then running the repair/restore on it.

if you need to get the data off your computer and you or someone you know has a linux live cd boot up the live cd and then back up all the data from your windows partition.

Hi,

I did try that. The problem is that this is work a computer and the guy who set it up does not remember the admin password and my password does not work even though I have admin privelages. So the xp cd would not let me run the repair utility.

I do need to get the data off of this computer. The computer only has xp installed on it. If I could find someone who has the linux live cd how exactly would that work? I had a very limited experience with linux about 5 or 6 years ago but not since so I am unfamiliar with it. Would I need to install linux onto the system?

Thank you very much for your help. Being on a research team of just me and my boss does not lend to having a lot of tech support or funding so we have to figure out everything on our own and any help is greatly appreciated.

R

did you trying booting up your xp cd and then running the repair/restore on it.

if you need to get the data off your computer and you or someone you know has a linux live cd boot up the live cd and then back up all the data from your windows partition.

the easiest thing to do is slave your drive in another working computer and remove data to the drive in other computer ,good to have burner in other computer.
i have used http://www.knoppix.org/ live cd and a thumb drive to remove small amounts of data ,you can also use it with a usb harddrive instead of thumb drive .

I have the linux live cd and it seems to be working. I have made the external hard drive writable but some of the files and folders will not copy - what am i missing?

Thanks for the help
R

the easiest thing to do is slave your drive in another working computer and remove data to the drive in other computer ,good to have burner in other computer.
i have used http://www.knoppix.org/ live cd and a thumb drive to remove small amounts of data ,you can also use it with a usb harddrive instead of thumb drive .

you dont have permission to copy them most likely. you can change the permission of your windows files by typing "chmod ugo+rwx <file or directory name(s)>" in your shell terminal.

you dont have permission to copy them most likely. you can change the permission of your windows files by typing "chmod ugo+rwx <file or directory name(s)>" in your shell terminal.

Hi,
I tired doing this but I can't get it to work. I think this is because I am not familiar with the shell commands. I think I first need to get to the c drive but I'm not sure how to do that. I have tried to find the commands but I have not had any luck.
R

Hi,
Does this system not like file names with spaces? If so is there a way to fix this? If I need to rename them how do I go about that? I have tried to rename some of them but it will not take and I have have made everything readable, writeable, and executable and all that stuff.
R

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.