Hi I have a 40GB hard drive set up as a spare HDD master on my secondary IDE. All I want to do is set aside an active partition of just 1GB on this drive. I have tried to do it following the help menu by using 'disk management' and also by the command prompt. So far following the 'help menu' instructions, the disk management method just does not have the options it tells me to follow. The DOS commands, 3 methods, all failed as well. Could anyone teach me how to partition just using WXP functions please. I don't really want to buy a Partition Manager Application just to partition one HDD. The drive in question is already formated NTFS. Thanx, Eamonn.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like the drive is already partitioned. In computer management under layout of this disk does it say "partition"? If so it is already partitioned you will need to delete it so then it will be unallocated then you should be able to create the partition of your dreams. If this still fails your hard disk could be knackered. Download seatools and test it.

Sounds like the drive is already partitioned. In computer management under layout of this disk does it say "partition"? If so it is already partitioned you will need to delete it so then it will be unallocated then you should be able to create the partition of your dreams. If this still fails your hard disk could be knackered. Download seatools and test it.

Thanx for your suggestion, it is already partioned. I did delete the partition, but then it didnt show up in disk management???? So I could not do anything to something I can't see. Eamonn.

it's not the best way to delete the partition in disk management, first off all you loose all the data on drive and i am not sure the you can repartition the drive. i think now you can perform this without using 3d party progs. firts of all i advice you to restore deleted partition, then make 1gb one. so the best partition prog is disk director, also with it's help you can restore lost partition.

Thanx for your suggestion, it is already partioned. I did delete the partition, but then it didnt show up in disk management???? So I could not do anything to something I can't see. Eamonn.

Hi Klnsjo, your reply was the correct solution after all. For some reason after deleting the partition, disk management showed as 'disk view'. So I deleteted the partition again, changed the view to 'graphical' and from then on creating a partition was so easy to do using wizard. I am sorry for misleading you with my first reply, but again your solution was perfect and so easy. Thanx for your advice.
Eamonn.

:)Glad to help:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.