My computer runs very slow after a while and it would become difficult to shut programs. I would then go to the task manager to close the program only to see that the cpu is running at 100%:sad: and it want let me do anything.

AMD Anthlon 2600+
256MB
40GB HDD
64MB Geforce 2 MX 400

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

My computer runs very slow after a while and it would become difficult to shut programs. I would then go to the task manager to close the program only to see that the cpu is running at 100% and it won't let me do anything.

AMD Anthlon 2600+
256MB
40GB HDD
64MB Geforce2 MX400

Which OS are you running? Which anti-virus? Have you checked for adware/spyware lately? Are you running the Windows fast-switcher PowerToy? Are you on broadband or dial-up? Are you using a firewall? Any weird toolbars, pop-ups, or changed start-pages lately?

Please help us help you. Read the malware article in m\y signature, below. If you feel that you are up to running HijackThis, post a log here before you try to fix anything. In any case, we need more information.

My os is Windows XP Home Edition 5.1 Build 2600
I am connected to the Internet on a DSL modem. Sometimes weird toolbars come up but I get rid of those programs. I am running Norton Anti-Virus.
What is the Windows switcher power toys? I dont think it has anything to do with the internet.

Sometimes weird toolbars come up but I get rid of those programs.

It certainly sounds like a spyware/malware issue- exactly how are you removing the offending programs, toolbars, etc.? There have been a number of posts here in the last few days which deal with effectively getting rid of malware- take a look through those for solutions.

What is the Windows switcher power toys?

Fast user switching- this Google search will give you info on that:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=windows+%22power+toy%22+%22fast+user+switching%22&btnG=Google+Search

In Task Manager, look in the "processes" tab and see if you can determine which process is chewing up your resources.

Does this happen randomly, or does it seem (think carefully) to be related to running a certain program or performing a certain task?
Close down any programs you don't need and disable items in your system tray (anti-virus, etc.). If that cures the problem, restart the applications you closed one at a time to see if you can pinpoint the culprit.

I don't know how to rmove spyware I dont know how. I remove search bars by going into the remove/add programs thing
This problem usually happens after i have been using the comp for awhile. Usually i am using win media player and the internet at the same time.

OK- I'll bet you've probably picked up a bunch of spyware/malware, and that's what is clogging up your system. Download, install, and run the following (free) malware removal tools:

Ad Aware: www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot Search & Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/
SpywareBlaster: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
HijackThis: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

I would suggest running Ad Aware and SpyBot together; run one of them, reboot to make sure the fixes take effect, and then immediately run the other. Close all unnecessary program before doing the runs.

Also, you should use Window's Automatic Update function to install the latest security patches and bug fixes for the operating system, Internet Explorer, and Media Player- Microsoft has recently posted some new updates which, among other things, can help make your system more immune to the effects of malicious programs like spyware/adware/malware.

How does getting rid of ads and spyware affect my procesor?
Does spyware run in the background or something?

had that program before on my other comp. but then my computer started to go slow after about 6 weeks. I'll try it anyways I probably need more memory

How does getting rid of ads and spyware affect my procesor?
Does spyware run in the background or something?

Yes, that's the whole idea of malware programs. Depending on the particular program, it might also be generating network/Interent traffic that you aren't even aware of.

How much memory do you have in your system? If you've got 256 or more and you're still experiencing slowdowns, I would seriously check your system for spyware/malware.

Ok so I ran ad aware and got rid of all the ads. I got search and destroy but I hesitated using it because it had stuff from the registry and I dont know if i should remove it or not. I also downloaded memoryboost, it seems to be working alright.

That didnt work:sad: . I did find the process that is taking up all of my processor. The program is called svchost.exe. In the taskmanager it was listed under system and it was using 5468KB of memory.

Many of the malware programs do make registry modifications, and the removal utilities (including SpyBot) will detect those- that's part of their job. I've never had a problem with SpyBot or Ad Aware deleting something they shouldn't, but if you're unsure about deleting any entries those programs found, let us know and we can you if they're safe to delete or not.

In terms of svchost, you can think of it as program/service "launcher", much like run32.dll. An explanation is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250320

It's often normal to see multipe instances of svchost running for the reason given above, but malware programs can be launched by svchost as well, so I'd go ahead with SpyBot and see what happens from there.

I have tried everything and the problem is still persisting. Should I be considering a system restore?

A system restore might work, but than again it might not.

Sorry for the short and cryptic response, but I'm just on my way out the door to make meeting with a client; I'll try to get back to this as soon as I can.

Do u think that a reinstallation might be good. I talked to the company that I got the computer from and they said that I may have to reinstall:sad: but I dont want to. Is there any last hope type thing I could do to try to fix this problem without having to reinstall or do a system restore?

Do u think that a reinstallation might be good. I talked to the company that I got the computer from and they said that I may have to reinstall:sad: but I dont want to. Is there any last hope type thing I could do to try to fix this problem without having to reinstall or do a system restore?

A reinstall should always be your last resort- if you haven't done this already, run SpyBot again and let it fix the problems it finds. Many of the spyware removal programs will make changes to your registry, because the programs they're designed to remove altered your registry in the fist place. SpyBot does flag some things that aren't necessarilly threats (only questionable objects), but I've never had it remove something it shouldn't, and I have used it a lot.

well I do that again and if that works I'll consider reinstalling. Thanks For the Advice

Ok I did a system recovery using the Windows Xp disc and it fixed all the problems. No more cpu running at 100%:cheesy:

Any idea what the actual problem turned out to be?

If you found out, please let us know- that info could help others here who might be experiencing the same problem. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.