Hi...

I came across this place while lookin for a solution for my current problem... In the hope that someone here can help me...

Ok, i won't beat about the bush i'll just tell you what went wrong...

When i had a play with my speaker setup yesterday everthing was fine until windows fell over... When i logged back on i found that WMP wouldn't play any files...

All the tunes in my library had gone orange and refused to play...

I get the following error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Ok... I know that this isn't the first time this has been a problem for someone and i'm sure alot of you may even be sick of answering this thread but i can't find a solution anywhere else...

There is NO reason i can see for WMP to be doing this as ALL the other sounds work on my system, games play fine and movies play with sound if i run them in another media player such as Nero or DivX...

There are no driver conflicts and i have uninstalled and reinstalled both my Nforce drivers and WMP...

This really is a problem and i can't figure out what the hell is wrong...

Ok... i think i've given enough info and this post is a bit long so i'll edd it now and once again ask for ANY help...

Much appreciated, THANX in advance....

Check obvious things first - by that I mean hardware. Check all connections, power input, volume settings.

Then look at software settings, in particular, the Sound and Audio control panel.

Here is a link to a file I created while solving this problem for one of my clients.

http://www.rouzell.com/121pct/soundandaudio.html

Please post your results if/when you solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Hmm... Ok... I checked all those... Like i said EVERYTHING else plays sound... Winamp, Nero and all my games play FINE... The biggest shock came when i logged in to one of the OTHER users on my system and tried WMP... THEY work fine... Just MINE that won't...

This has baffled me even more....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.