Hi...

I came across this place while lookin for a solution for my current problem... In the hope that someone here can help me...

Ok, i won't beat about the bush i'll just tell you what went wrong...

When i had a play with my speaker setup yesterday everthing was fine until windows fell over... When i logged back on i found that WMP wouldn't play any files...

All the tunes in my library had gone orange and refused to play...

I get the following error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

Ok... I know that this isn't the first time this has been a problem for someone and i'm sure alot of you may even be sick of answering this thread but i can't find a solution anywhere else...

There is NO reason i can see for WMP to be doing this as ALL the other sounds work on my system, games play fine and movies play with sound if i run them in another media player such as Nero or DivX...

There are no driver conflicts and i have uninstalled and reinstalled both my Nforce drivers and WMP...

This really is a problem and i can't figure out what the hell is wrong...

Ok... i think i've given enough info and this post is a bit long so i'll edd it now and once again ask for ANY help...

Much appreciated, THANX in advance....

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Zephone_UK

Check obvious things first - by that I mean hardware. Check all connections, power input, volume settings.

Then look at software settings, in particular, the Sound and Audio control panel.

Here is a link to a file I created while solving this problem for one of my clients.

http://www.rouzell.com/121pct/soundandaudio.html

Please post your results if/when you solve the problem.

I hope this helps.

Hmm... Ok... I checked all those... Like i said EVERYTHING else plays sound... Winamp, Nero and all my games play FINE... The biggest shock came when i logged in to one of the OTHER users on my system and tried WMP... THEY work fine... Just MINE that won't...

This has baffled me even more....

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.