Greetings to all.
I have Win XP, Internet Explorer 6 and regularily use (and update)AVC AntiVirus, Ewido Antispyware and Ad-Aware SE Personal. My pc is updated regularily from Windows Update, but not automatically so I can choose what I want to update. I have not downloaded any programs recently.
When I attempt to find files in My Computer, for example using Run command, it takes about 3-4 minutes for the pc to find the directory. If I click on the address bar at the top of the window,in order to find the My Computer icon, that goes blank and then explorer exe sends typical error message to say explorer.exe has to close, generating report. Additionally, if I open a program from the desktop, for example, AVG Antivirus, use the program and then close it, the whole desktop screen display blanks out and then reappears...I assume this is also an explorer exe problem.
I have attempted to use the Windows Update Help forums but no solutions appear relevant.
If anyone can help me with this, I would very grateful, Thanks for reading this cry for help!:rolleyes:

Hi Bass,

This sort of sounds like it could be a RAM issue or video card memory issue in that you might not have enough RAM or vid card memory to smoothly run everything. How much RAM do you currently have in your computer, and how much maximum are you allowed? What kind of a video card do you have, and how much memory is allocated to it?

LP

Hi Bass,

This sort of sounds like it could be a RAM issue or video card memory issue in that you might not have enough RAM or vid card memory to smoothly run everything. How much RAM do you currently have in your computer, and how much maximum are you allowed? What kind of a video card do you have, and how much memory is allocated to it?

LP

Dear LP,
Thanks for replying!
My video card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 - in Device Manager, Memory listed as : Memory Range E6000000 - E6FFFFFF
Memory Range E8000000 - EFFFFFFF
IRQ 11
I/O Range 03B0 - 03BB
I/O Range 03C0 - 03DF
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF
No conflicts reported

Have 512K RAM, max 512K
I hope these details are of some use. The problem is persistent. It akes uopwards of 1min to for example click on a directory I want to access in My Computer..as if there is a problem searching within itself. Other directories are accessed much quicker for example Desktop. But eventually having got to the directory used files, saved changes etc, explorer.exe then either crashes or rewrites desktop display again, causing me to lose temporarily whatever was on display - and then I have to go thru the whole process again of finding the directory.
Thanks for your help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.