Stop: 0x0000009c (0x00000002, 0x8054D370, 0xF6002000, 0x0000017A)

This is the error I've been getting at the blue screens every time my computer locks up. =\ I've been trying to install World of Warcraft (I know this forum isn't for such things) and it isn't going too well. I've had this lock up ever since this computer was given to me as a gift. No documentation of this computer came with it because the gift was bought by my mother who bought it fro my uncle. My uncle never got any documentation from the person he bought it as used from.

I decided yesterday that it'd be a good idea to install Windows XP Home Edition on my computer that already had Windows XP Professional. That didn't turn up too well because my computer had lock ups at the stage where the Setup copies installation files.

I'm on the verge of jsut paying Geek Squad $200 just to fix this issue. I don't even know what it really is besides it being either my RAM, CPU, or power supply. Those are three out of four items that can be causing this problem or so says the prompt given by Microsoft's error report. I'm don't know a whole lot about my computer but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm on the verge of jsut paying Geek Squad $200 just to fix this issue. I don't even know what it really is besides it being either my RAM, CPU, or power supply.

Ok, before you spent 200 bucks you can try some harmless things:

Since Windows bails out during installation already, I first suspect your memory module(s) to be bad or running at wrong timings. You can try to run this RAM test program for a couple of hours: Memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com. (You'll need to copy it onto a bootable floppy or CD first)

The other thing to try would be to reset the BIOS to it's defaults (best assisted by someone with some knowledge on that), but I would try to test the memory first.

If all that fails, swapping out CPU and PSU with some borrowed parts would be the next step. But before that, you can try to reduce your hardware to it's minimums (CPU, 1 RAM module, Video and 1 Harddisk) if it isn't already that "bareboned"...

The problem could also be caused by a bad harddisk. Every HDD manufacturer has a diagnostic software for its drives, you can download and test your drive's health with it.

Maybe you're lucky and find out the bad part on yourself. Then you can spent all the bucks for a replacement... ;)

If something's unclear, come back and ask :)

Ok, before you spent 200 bucks you can try some harmless things:

Since Windows bails out during installation already, I first suspect your memory module(s) to be bad or running at wrong timings. You can try to run this RAM test program for a couple of hours: Memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com. (You'll need to copy it onto a bootable floppy or CD first)

xD Okie, well I found one floppy disk that I have but my computer can't reformat it. ~Sigh~ x.x Do I need a special floppy disk or can all floppy disks be considered bootable floppy disks?

Thank you so much for your help so far. xD!

Hmm...I thought I sent this a few hours ago, but it didn't work...:eek: :mrgreen:

Do I need a special floppy disk or can all floppy disks be considered bootable floppy disks?

Unfortunately not. To create a bootable diskette with memtest86, follow the instructions on "To make a bootable Floppy from with in Windows" on this website: http://shsc.info/Memtest86 (Detailed description and FAQ)

Another way to run memtest86:
If you're on DSL, download a "Knoppix" Linux live-CD-image from http://knoppix.org and burn the image. Then boot from that CD and at the prompt type "memtest".

Is it possible to download a RAM test to a USB flash drive? At the moment, I don't have a floppy disk or a CD I can copy the information to. Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks!

I have checked that site and I'm in the process of working it out with Gateway. xD Thank you.

By the way, my computer seems to get worse as I try to figure out what is wrong and at the same time trying to fix it. >.>... My computer won't let me repair in the Windows Setup and everytime I try to do that it crashes and then I need to reinstall my video and network card.

That site basically says that if you're not OCing than something is toasted.

I'll just brainstorm you a little here.

- Floppy disc - maybe it's write-protected? Look at the top right corner. If it is a see trough hole, it is write-protected. Move that thing to cover the hole.

- memtest86 - it can be run in windows. Only the results are not 100% accurate.

- BIOS settings - some bioses have setup default and bios default presets. In general bios default (or just default) is safe-mode kind of setup. All enhancements are turned off and all detection is automated (HD memory and such). Setup default is one that the mobo manufacturer have set. That one should work if all is OK.

Check that the quick post is disabled. This way bios will do all the tests when booting.
I had problems with memory settings on my own. HAD to set it manually, hence the bios would set it all wrong.

I suspect that memory is either faulty or the timings are wrong.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.