Sorry for duplicate post. I was lost in mac land thread. I just bought a sony vaio (windows xp) and hooked up my Logitech Quickcam Fusion web cam. When the cam is plugged in there is no sound on my laptop at all. I-tunes won't play and I can't hear other people caming me. I can see them and they can see me. They can hear me but I can't hear them. I can hear others fine and hear I-Tunes as long as the camera is not plugged in. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be great!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I still have the same problem. I have updated the Logitech software and downloaded a DirectX driver. I still can't hear any sound when the camera is plugged in. Any suggestions?

Many webcams come with a build-in microphone and a pretty bad driver to operate it. It shouldn't knock out your normal playback and just get the MME "recording line" for the mic (which is bad enough if you use a headset frequently), but sometimes it appears to the system as a complete audio device (including playback), thus disabling Windows audio.

Suggestion: Check Control Panel -> Audio devices --> Audio tab if your selected playback device is your soundcard. If not, change it.
If that doesn't help, go to Device Manager and look for a "USB audio device" or similar. Then deactivate it. You cannot use the cam's microphone then.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.