Sorry for all the fuss. I've done a format & it was easy! The Soundmanager file has disappeared again though. I have narrowed this down to 3 causes: It was either because of installing a driver update, or the new version of Windows Media Player 9, or the latest directX9.0 download. None of these 3 things were critical updates, i just chose them from list 'B'. Then i noticed the soundmanager facility had then gone once again (as before). The computer is now fixed however, so i'm going to leave it as it is. We can do without graphic equaliser & other sound tweaks. At least the puter is reponding properly, no error reports & it's dead quick.

There is just one more thing i'm a bit stuck on......(as usual). When formatting the hard drive i partitioned it, this was only because of receiving good advise to do so. After i formatted the largest partion the installation just carried on to the next stage of instaling Windows & i didn't get a chance of formatting the other part.

So now i have drive C, (which i have installed everything on so far), but there is now also a drive D which, when trying to open, it says "drive D is not yet formatted, would you like to format it now"?

Grrrrrrr! i don't know what to do! do i format it? & will it give me the option of NTFS (like it did when i partitioned at the start)? & will it be safe to do this?
More importantly, what do i do with this drive D once it has been formatted? What use has it got? Think i've done the right things so far, but now have a 15 Gig "spare" partition & don't know what to do with it.

Thanks for everyone's help on this & hopefully this long-winded thread can end, but i would appreciate a little pointer on this last Q.
Cheers.

More importantly, what do i do with this drive D once it has been formatted? What use has it got? Think i've done the right things so far, but now have a 15 Gig "spare" partition & don't know what to do with it.

Yes format it !
What i do with my partition is store backups of my IE favorites,and my,mydocuments ,,movies that idownload and so on and so on!
in case I need tp format my main partition !

note : things that are really important are backed up to CD Disk

Done it! Thanks for that & apologies for being stroppy to Catweazle. :p

2 years on & no problems at all with the same PC & haven't had to format again! I'm sure all the niggling problems have been caused by me installing the current service pack straight after a format & new windows & then the drivers.

The last time i wiped everything off i installed the drivers one by one immediately after the new windows install had finished its business. THEN the service pack. Obviously there's a lot to do after this but so long as i put the drivers on 1st everything is brill 4 ever! So sorry for all the fuss & thanks for your patience.

lol, nice to hear you are alive and well ,and so is you computer ,after almost 3 yrs .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.