i had the problem yesterday after a big virus problem. i tried to find solutions on the net but couldnt. but i found my own...:
from folder options select file types. then find drive icon (at the beginning of the list). click advanced. it must be "open" as default. if you dont see "open" click new and create an "open". select explorer.exe from windows folder. make it default...
i hope it will help you. if you read carefully and can understand what i meant, you will achieve i think.
good night and good luck...

(i want to talk about the virus problem a bit. it was two exe files in the windows process. when i try to close one, the other one was generatıng ıt again. i couldn't find the files even i had known exactly where they are. they were in win start up couldnt be removed even with specialized programs. in
spybot, i found a solution: from process editor, i selected both two files and then clicked stop. it surprisingly killed the process. then with the help of both SB resident and avast, i solved the problem. it was a rough problem for me and i wanted to share but this is the first time i'm writing sth here and couldnt know where to write this. Sorry. hope it would be useful for sb.)

hey guys, i tried this solution then i restarted my pc and when i inserted the flash drive it came up again with the same autorun.inf file and that is ANNOYING... Can anybody give any other solution??

No need to Isnatll Widnows again , there is a simple solution just open Notepad and save it with the name "autorun.inf". copy this file to all drives that are nto opening on double click. when u will try to copy the File it will ask to replace the older file click "YES". Then restart your pc. hope you will nto face this problem again.

No need to Isnatll Widnows again , there is a simple solution just open Notepad and save it with the name "autorun.inf". copy this file to all drives that are nto opening on double click. when u will try to copy the File it will ask to replace the older file click "YES". Then restart your pc. hope you will nto face this problem again.

Thank you so much, it works with me too. More power to you

I tried all the soultions here but they did not work for me.

I used notepad to open the file c:\autorun.inf (it was hidden) and I found that it was infected witha a kind of virus, I supposed that its name is XLK9.com, because this file name appears several times in the text.

I found that the file autorun.inf in c:\ was setup as "read only", "hidden" and "system" and I can not modify it using notepad.

I did the following procedure using old style MS-DOS commands:

1. Click in windows: [START] then [RUN] and then type: command.com (to enter into MS-DOS mode.

2. Change to root directory typing:
CHDIR C:\

3. Change the atributes of autorun.inf file to allow to change it:
ATTRIB -S -H -R autorun.inf

4. Edit autorun.inf file using MS-DOS editor:
EDIT autorun.inf

5. Delete all the information in the file and replace it with the following commands:
[AutoRun]
open=C:\windows\explorer.exe

6. Save the file and quit the editor (use the mouse for these commands).

7. Exit the MS-DOS session (type EXIT in command line to quit to Windows.

8. Restart the computer.

If you have a pendrive that you behave in the same way (like it happens to me). repeat the same procedure, changing C: by the letter that correspond to the pen drive. (mine was F:). Whenyou modify the autorun.inf file into the pendrive, replace the information with the same command used previously:
[AutoRun]
open=C:\windows\explorer.exe

Do not change here the C: with F: because the windows drive is in the drive C: not in F:

Restart the PC again (you could do both changes at once and restart the PC just one time.

This procedure worked for me.

Good luck-
Alvaro Cuberos.

Tools--> Options --> Show hidden File and System protected file... Find AutoRun .inf Delete it and you are done.

Other way to explore the drive.

ThAnKs a lOt TT4TITANS....Ur SoLuTiOn FoR "C DrIvE NOt oPeNiNg oN dOuBlE-ClIcK WoRkEd WeLL"....................
MANY MANY THANKS AGAIN....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.