With the NTFS file system, if the proper disk space on the hard drive isn't showing up for the partitions I have defined is it due to partition gaps? thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

anyone?

Hmm, You're avatar is pretty much me right now. So that article says partition gaps can be intentionally created and vice versa (unintentionally)? Doesn't really answer my question completely unless I'm missing something.

Let's see if I can unscramble your puzzle, are you asking for example if you had a 100GB hdd but it only shows as being 95GB? If this is the case it is normal, the hdd retains a space/cache in order to move information around.

Nope. The 100 gubbies is the unformated raw space. The 95 is the space after the formatting has been added. The rest of that is the format itself - sector headers, file tables, and directories.

Nope. The 100 gubbies is the unformated raw space. The 95 is the space after the formatting has been added. The rest of that is the format itself - sector headers, file tables, and directories.

Yep, same thing, different language.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.