I installed Command and Conquer Zero Hour onto my portable hd, so I can play it on my school computer lab computers (on which I do not have admin privileges). When I try to start the game, it show the loading screen then quits. I believe it has something to do with the system registry because of what I read from the log file. I cannot edit the registry because I do not have admin privileges. Is there some kind of virtual registry I can make or any other solution?

Here is a part of the log file...

GetStringFromRegistry - looking in SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Generals for key InstallPath
EXE CRC: 0x7650F6A5
GetStringFromRegistry - looking in SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour for key UserDataLeafName
Hostname is '344wk-008'
IP: 0x9E12120A / 0x0A12129E (10.18.18.158)
Hostname is '344wk-008'
Hostname is '344wk-008'
TheWritableGlobalData 16e30c
GetStringFromRegistry - looking in SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour for key Language
Looking in data\Generals.str for string file
Looking in data\english\Generals.csf for compiled string file
ScriptEngine::setGlobalDifficulty(1)

*** Missing strings ***
*** End missing strings ***

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It's probably explicitly blocked from executing on school computers by a content blocker.

I don't believe that is the case. The computer administrator is not that technical. I just think it is because the system registry does not have the information that is put on during installation and the game just shuts down when it can't find it. I was just hoping for some kind of bypass for the registry check.

Thanks for your help!

the game needs certian reg keys to be present in order to work. these cannot be put onto your external hdd

I realize that is the case, but often times, some people know of bypasses for things like this.

Thanks for your help though!

It is not a matter of "bypassing". It's a matter of the information being on the registry of the computer which it is actually installed and running on.

The program needs to use its registry entries to know where to find the files it needs to run (such as images and sounds). If you installed the program on one computer, the registry entries are always on the C drive of that computer. Registry entries are never looked for on removable drives, because removable drives can't have registries.

If the registry of the computer you move the removable drive to does not contain the registry entries for the program, two things happen:

1. The program can't find its own files.

2. The program may think it is a pirated copy. It might disable itself, and then it won't run on either computer.

Note that you usually have a license to use the program on only ONE computer. That is the computer you installed it on. Attempts to do what you want to do are illegal software piracy. You could be put in jail or face a stiff fine.

just so you know. c&c generals WILL start off a uninstalled computer. but it checks for cdkey when you load a map, it then auto surrenders you after about 2 mins. the machines do not want to run it!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.