I've been having the same problem with my laptop which runs Vista.

I tried everything here, but what did it for me was I removed everything from my USB ports (I had a wireless mouse) and then booted up my laptop and for some reason it connected...

Don't know if this will help, but you could try.

First of all - I just want to say that this seems a great forum and from going over the posts I have learnt a great deal hence I have joined this forum as this is exactly the issue I am having issue with.

First of all, in our home network we have 3 XP Home machines, a Vista Home Premium 32Bit, a PSP and my Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. My 64 bit Vista machine is the one having local access only problems which are annoyingly on and off to the extent that internet on this machine is not very usable at all. Eg after a clean reinstall of vista activiating over the wifi gets 99% through and times out and switches to local only, then only later to reconnect to the internet (I can always activate again over the phone so this isn't an issue).

- Clearly our internet connection works as all the other devices work fine.
- Checked the 32 bitVista machine which works fine it uses both IPv4 and IPv6 - I can post the full icponfig/all if anyone is interested in the comparison.
- I have tried to manually assign an IP address, Subnet mask etc for IPv4 and have tried using only IPv4.
- I have also followed the advice to only set up a connection via the Connect to the Internet tool in the welcome centre (which at times can set up the connection and then of course later the connection drops).
- In addition, I have tried the DHCP fix kindly put together by JohnathanYew

I've never encountered this much difficulty setting up a wifi connection before, even when I have put virtually the same wifi card in a relatives computer (in a different network which had a BT Homehub as a router again though 32bit Vista). The two main variables different therefore are the routers (mine is a Belkin F5D7632-4) and whether the OS is 32 or 64. I am tempted by looking for a "Vista Certified Router ADSL" to replace our Belkin one if it is an issue of the router not working up to Vista's standards for DHCP. I just don't want to go down this alley if it is a client end problem on my Vista 64.

Currently my IPConfig/all gives the following...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Athena
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : shuttleworth_road

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 1:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : shuttleworth_road
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireles
s Device
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-17-3F-32-95-19
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::30fe:6a81:b162:1cb7%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.33(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 March 2008 18:22:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 16 March 2008 18:22:18
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 301995839
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : shuttleworth_road
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.2.33%13(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:cf2e:308c:289e:df3:3f57:fdde(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::289e:df3:3f57:fdde%10(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Any advice on what steps anyone would take would of course be greatly appreciated. As I mentioned the connection from this drops on a regular basis to local and then reconnects.

hi! i work support for a major isp. i usually make my customers disable their wireless adapter itself and then restart their computers...after the reboot enable the wireless adapter then try to connect to your wireless connection...you did say that your cuz is able to connect to your wireless connection so i assume the router/gateway is connected and correctly configured...i'd say about 85-90 percent of the customers that i talk to are able to connect after we do this steps...but youll have to do it over and over everytime you reconnect...one of my customres did check back witb me as recently as 5 hours ago and told me that his wireless adapter manufacturer now has new updated drivers and its supposed to fix this minor glitch...its supposedly was a registry issue with the vista...at least thats what support from his manufaturer told him....hope that works....if your issue is fixed and im late...well...here's to wishing you always have a good one!!!!

Vista Sufferers,

I solved my issue with the download of a new driver for my wireless network adapter. (Atheros)

Good luck to all. I hope this resolves everyones troubles.

7/24

Hello everyone,

A couple week ago I had the vista local access problem aswel.. I tried all the suggestion on this thread and nothing fixed the bug.
But now, I solved it on a crazy way. This is what I did: In the running Vista I grap the electrical plug off my pc.. so the pc falls off. Wait ten seconds and put the plug back. Start the pc in normal mode and I get a normal ip from my router.
I hope this solution will work for others!

What worked for me was going into the wireless connection properties, disabling IPv6, and instead using IPv4, & setting a DNS. For some odd reason IPv6 on vista seems to be quite a headache to a lot of people (my crap-o netgear router included). Hope this works for you. :)

hey! i was browsing so many sites and forums because i was having the same problem with the same laptop (dv6000). i did what you said, i disabled IPv6 in wireless connection properties and then i went to IPv4 properties and chose "obtain ip address automatically" then poof, that's it, i was suddenly connected to wireless internet. the next thing i did was register to daniweb. thanks bro!!

Hi there, I got my new computer a few days ago. It is a Windows Vista 64bit Machine and it has Service Pack 1 on it and I have literally tried everything to try and get my internet connection going and nothing works. I have tried various suggestions here, I connected Belkin and they gave me a guide on reinstalling a new driver, I have tried everything I can find and it will still not connect wirelessly. It connected when I took it downstairs and used the cable, but apart from that, nothing.

I really don't know what else I can do apart from throwing it out the window and hoping that might knock some sense into it.

I'm having a Vista Local Access Only problem as well. Mine is a little different though so I'm not certain if I should have started my own thread or it is ok here.

Anyway, I provide tech support for a small company. One of my users has a Toshiba Portege M700 tablet notebook running Windows Vista Business 32-bit that is approximately 2 months old.

It is connected through a wired LAN connection at an office with several other computers. There is a Dell laptop that is also running Vista Business and the others are all running XP. Some of them are wired connections and some are wireless. None of the others are having problems.

The computer worked fine, until this past Monday. Ever since then, the network connection has been "Local Access Only". It is connected to the network though as the computer can access files on the server, including e-mail.

As some of the threads here suggested, I've tried removing the battery, disabling IP v6 and the autotuner. None of them have resolved the problem. By uninstalling the network card and allowing Windows to reinstall it, brings the internet back, temporarily. By the next day, it was back to being Local Access Only.

Toshiba technical support was no help - the woman I spoke to did not even know that Local Access Only was a common issue with Vista. The one thing she did tell me is that there have been alot of Windows updates lately and that as these are installed, they could be overwriting the existing network drivers causing us to have this error.

In some ways, that seemed logical to me, as the computer did work fine at first and uninstalling and reinstalling the driver resolved the issue (temporarily) and the machine is still downloading updates. However, if it were overwriting the drivers, wouldn't my user have been having problems with more then just the Internet? I got the impression that she knew very little of computers herself, but could read information to me off her knowledge base real well so I don't know whether there was any validity to what she told me or not. Does anyone?

If anyone has any permanent solutions to suggest (besides going back to XP, which I've thought about, believe me!), or even knows if what the Toshiba woman told me is correct, I would appreciate it.

check on the device manager what kind of network adapter the laptop is using and check for new updated drivers from the manufaturer of the network adapter itself.

Have you tried thoroughly stripping out your AV and firewall software? You may, if you are running Norton need to get hold of the tool to complete the removal. Once done reinstall the network adapter and then reboot. YOu should have a clean connection. The reinstall the AV/firewall and all should be OK. Mostly this problem is caused by misconfigured low level software running at startup. Best of luck.

I just registered to tell you guys how i fixed my problem.

I uninstalled norton and instantly my connection returned.:)

norton Internet security: destroying one Internet experience at a time. Glad to hear that you were able to get the issue resolved.

I used to have this issue since september '07

I was desperated trying all the solutions posted here...

Two weeks ago I found my solution:

- Change Wi-Fi Channel 13 to 10 or less.
- Change the name of the wireless conection, my old name were "Wi-Fi" and when I changed it to "wifi" my laptop conects instantly.

Only with these two things changed I'm be able to connect to my wifi conection.

Laptop: Amilo La1703
Windows Vista Home Basic SP1
Wireless Card: SiS163u

Excellent news Galeth and a good tip for WiFi sufferers - it is strange but I suspect that when you renamed your WiFi and changed channel that your AV software reconfigured.

Excellent news Galeth and a good tip for WiFi sufferers - it is strange but I suspect that when you renamed your WiFi and changed channel that your AV software reconfigured.

I think that mi wi-fi card does not support channels above 10... when I i used to have the issue, I was using channel 13.

But changing only that, my computer stills at local only connection.

When I changed the name too without the "-" of "Wi-Fi" i'm be able to connect to Internet.

But when I changed again the channel to 13 it turned to local only again -_-

So I think it's only a problem of my wireless card not of the OS.

PD: I have Kaspersky Installed and i have no problems with it and my wireless connection

I'm have this problem too, but I have no problems connecting with the wireless card that came installed into the laptop, my problem is with my Linksys Wireless USB Adapter. If someone could help me figure out what IP/DNS i need to set my connection for that'd be great:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Adam>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Adam-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys Wireless-N USB Network Adapter WU
SB300N
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-7E-03-41-8E
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.100.22(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 25, 2008 7:35:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:51:40 AM
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.100.2

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-73-B5-60-E0
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.100.119(Preferred)
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, April 25, 2008 5:19:07 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, April 26, 2008 7:51:41 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.100.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.100.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.238.0.12

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-B7-74-8F

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.1.100.119%18(Preferred)
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.238.0.12

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:24c1:8a4:f5fe:9b88(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24c1:8a4:f5fe:9b88%11(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:10.1.100.22%22(Preferred)

Wireless Connection 2 is the adapter.

I have a wired network and a new computer. My first experience using Vista. The first thing I encountered after getting things up and running was the "Unrecognized network: Local Access Only". My old XP machine just logged onto the Internet as soon as it was installed. Not Vista ...

Here's the way I solved my "Unrecognized Network: Local Access Only" problem. Hope it works for you as well as it does for me.

First, go to the Network and Sharing Center and select Manage network connections. Right click the connection that shows up and select Properties.

1. Disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) by removing the checkmark. (I'm not 100% sure this is necessary but I did it anyway and haven't experimented with it turned on)
2. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties.
3. On the General Tab, select Obtain an IP address automatically and enter the addresses of your Preferred DNS server and your Alternate DNS server. (This step got me onto the Network).
4. Click the Advanced button
5. On the IP settings tab, under IP Address, DHCP Enabled.
6. For Default Gateway enter the address of your default Gateway and the check Automatic Metric.
7. On the DNS tab, the addresses you entered in step 3 above should appear. If not, add them. Then select Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes and a checkmark in Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix. Finally, check Register this connection's addresses in DNS.
8. On the WINS tab, the only thing I checked was Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Everything else is cleared.

That did it. When I applied the changes I not only had a Network connection but I also had Local and Internet.

I really hope this works for everyone. When I Googled "Unrecognized Network: Local Access Only" it was quite obvious I wasn't the only one with the problem. I tried pretty well every suggestion given on several forums, including this one, but none of them worked for me. After at least 16 hours of "fiddling" I finally came up with the above. Good luck ....

This is what finally got my setup working. Vista on a Toshiba Satellite, Intel Pro 3945ABG.

It worked for a long time suddenly stopped.

IPv6 disabled.

IPv4 properties are auto IP address, auto DNS

Advanced tab has DHCP enabled

Set the gateway to the IP of my wireless router (I have two routers, a wired one attached to the cable modem, a wireless one connected to that via a switch).

DNS tab I appended the names of the DNS servers that my ISP provides

WINS uses default settings.

That plus a couple of disconnects got it all going somehow. I THINK that setting the right gateway was the trick that did it.

Hi everyone!

I am also only getting local only but I get this even with the network cable connected!!
Everything used to work just fine (both WLAN and with cable) but suddenly I cant connect to internet.

When I try ipconfig I get this message:

Windows IP Configuration

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.33.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 17:

I have no idea what this means but maybe you guys do?
I've disabled ipv6 and tried many things but still nothing.
Thank you!

I had the same problem with a windows vista laptop that could only get "local access" to my wireless network (all my xp machines worked fine). I originally had my network secured with a 64-bit WEP key and despite putting in the correct key on my vista laptop I was unable to connect (the same thing where it can't identify the network and has local access only). When I disabled the WEP on my router my vista laptop connected with no problems but unfortunately my network is now unsecure (I can now connect with IPv6 enabled and without manually entering an IP address). It is a decent fix for now but I hope to figure out how to make it work with the WEP security eventually. Anyways if it is your home network you might try disabling any security on the router. Good luck.

I have this exact same problem but the thing is I can't disable the WEP security because it's needed. The connection was set up for a small office.They were running without WEP before but they needed the security and they still need it.Is there any other way to get around this.
I believe in the depth of knowledge here.

The situation after reading the thread is back to square 1 and has not been resolved. If any one has a solution to this problem I shall appreciate same.
To recap, my hp pavilion dv 2000 with VISTA HOME PREMIUM connects to the internet for some time say 1 hour or so. Then suddenly shows Access: Local only. Crazy thing is when you right click the icon it shows I am connected to the internet but it is not !
I have copied a maze of replies in this forum to make sense of it. Result ? a big 0 :-)
ravi 7640

I can't seem to find a solution either but I have a bit of trouble shooting to report:

I don't have a firewall installed so that is not the trouble
I don't have anything installed but vista home premium
I am connecting via wire not wireless but that does not seem to be the cause

I can clear the local access only or induce the local access only at will ( so I can eliminate the randomness of it all)

If the computer goes to sleep when I wake it up... local access only
If I shut down the computer when I start it up again ...locat access only
If I totally turn off the power supply and wait for the lights to all go out and then start up ...no local access -- I can get to the internet just fine.

So it has to do with the power down and how the computer remembers does not remember does not get reassigned the IP address information

All my other computers running xp and macintosh do not have this trouble so it is something about the way that vista is handling the IP info

I tried the power setting on the network card...in that I told vista that it could not power down the card but that did not help.

I imagine that laptop users would have to take out the battery to totally power down in oreder to reset things consistently.

I know the problem...I am hoping that this will help someone come up with a solution

I've seen quite a few networking issues pop up with Vista by now, and you are right, that does seem to fix a lot of them. I guess IPv6 isn't really used much if any yet and a lot of consumer gear must have conflicts with it. Its a nice idea that vista automatically put it in in preparation for the future... but we all know how extra complexity using protocols that aren't fully implemented goes. :/

On a side note, if removing IPv6 doesn't help Jugs446 then he could always try to assign a static IP to his wireless connection.

I don't have Vista in front of me ATM, so please bear with me the wording might not be exact, but to specify a static IP address you would need to: Get into the network connections, and right-click on the wireless network connection and choose properties. Find TCP/IP v 4, highlight it and click Properties , then move the dots from "obtain automatically" to specify, and type in, in Jug's case,:

Ip address: 192.168.1.120 (last octet should be a number between 2-254 and not in the range of numbers dynamically assigned by the router, Linksys routers usually give in the low hundreds so I would avoid those, but your router gave you 33. To be safe you could use 200 instead of 120, I was really just being arbitrary.)

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

and give yourself 192.168.1.1 as your primary DNS. (If that doesn't work you could try the DNS server of your actual Internet service provider, you would find that out by bypassing the router, plugging straight in, and doing an ipconfig from a command prompt.)

I know this was posted ages ago, but just wanted to say thanks for this. I've spent the best part of 8 hours trying to get Vista to connect to the net (was connecting to the router, but that was as far as i was getting).

Anyhow, turning off IP6 and manually configuring the IP/subnet/DNS worked first time and now i'm online.
I even tried amending the registry to amend some flag to no blood avial, so thanks again.

Matt

Yes I know this worked for me as well, but what about if you want to connect at a school or airport or something where you dont know the correct ip settings? What can you do then?

Hi all

I am at my wits end, same issue with an Acer Travelmate 3270, went down at a clients home, brought it back to the office wont see this router either, oddly enough we both have the same model router. I have tried everything that all the boffins on this site have suggested and on other sites I "googled" nothing works!! I need to get this back to the client as he needs to do work but no one can help me. If no one can come up with a fix can someone at Microsoft be so kind as to fix it, it does seem to have happened after an update but I cannot find the update to remove it, Acer did say it was service pack 1 - heres the catch - no service pack installed! I have another Vista laptop here which does connect no problem, so whats the deal? Last resort is a format and rebuild but dont want to go down that route if I dont have to.
Thanks guys

just a quick add, I can connect with a wire! Security is fine, code I have checked and double checked and tried with and without security.

I had a similar problem with Vista and Windows XP professional on a Linksys network.

I had just set up a passphrase for the WEP and used it to connect to these 2 wireless computers.

Called linksys and he suggested I type in the entire WEP key. This worked immediately for both computers. Strange............

I have noticed that this happens to me quite a bit in hotels - I expect its the same issue since the hotels frequently assign passphrases.

Thanks for the reply but that would be fine if it connected without security activated but it doesnt connect with or without security, so from what I can make out the WEP doesnt cause the problem becuase the other laptop connects without issue. This is really a mad problem, there doesnt seem to be any single fix that works.

Uneal; this worked. I'm hoping I'm not jumping the gun but I disabled, powered down computer, pulled power cord, restarted and now it is recoginizing my connection and I'm able to get online. I also have IPv6 disabled and have changed my power management settings.

Thank you!

Oh for FRAK'S sake, this is it, this is absolutely it.

The freakin' Nic's keep power when the PC's shut off but plugged in. As soon as I did this, my problem was fixed.

ok so I am one of the horde daniweb nubs that found this thread through a google search. I have had a vista laptop since february and hadnt had a problem with my connection up until now. I just spent the last three hours trying various methods on this forum and others and just found the solution.

its a variation of the netsh junk that needs to be entered into the cmd prompt. My problem apparently had something to do with the Receive-Side Scaling (RSS) also. Don't ask me what that is because I dont know. But none the less type into the cmd prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled autotuninglevel=disabled
You should get an OK message.

If you dont, and it tells you you dont have access, reopen the cmd prompt as an admin by right clicking the program in the start menu and clicking "run as administrator." Now enter the netsh comand again and you should get the OK message.

Now, almost done. Right click your network connection taskbar icon and click "diagnose and repair." This should fix everything. Afterwards repairing it will automatically change the autotuninglevel back to disabled. I don't know if this means that the problem is fixed for good or that I will have to reenter that command again every once and a while.

Hope this helps out some other people. What a nuisance... and just when I was starting to like Vista. :confused:

Thank you thank you bajillions, ericshort - I've had this problem for a month now. First fix was to do a restore point, then uninstall my network adapter. This worked for a few days until it didn't. Second fix was to manually set IPv4 addresses, select Private network, and reboot. This worked for about a day. In between these "fixes" I tried everything else besides chucking my laptop out my front door. Your fix got me online again, and crossing fingers it lasts longer than a day.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.