I have napster on my computer, and have a fairly large collection of songs- music is the primary use of my computer. Recently, my computer began using 100% cpu when windows media player was running. Songs would stutter and programs freeze. If i go to task manager, windows media player was using more than 150,000 k of memory - much more than ever before. Completely up to date with WinUpdate, virus scanned and spyware scanned. So i reformatted completely, ie. delete all partitions, slow format, clean install of XP Pro. And i still have the problem, with a clean slate. Also, in the task manager, it lists which processor the process is running on. I remember I only used to see "00" "01" and "02", but im probably wrong. Now, wmplayer.exe, as well as a few other processes have random 2-digit numbers in this column, changing about once a second. Geting very frustrated that my computer can't even play a 128k mp3! Any Suggestions GREATLY appreciated. (Tried msconfig, virusscan, spyware scan, reformat, windows update, update all drivers.)

Dell Dimension 8300
P4 3.2 HT
1024 meg ram
SB audigy 2 ZS
ATI radeon 9800 xt

latest drivers for all of above

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by tyler9219

Have you got that PC connected to Broadband by any chance? The connection 'live' while you're performing the format/install? Perhaps even a static ip?

If that's the case, I'd consider rebooting the modem to get a new ip, or getting a new ip assigned. It sounds like you're a target for a trojan, and it's finding you quite easily.

At home I am on cable internet, but behind a Linksys wireless router, and the cable modem has a dynamic IP. ALso , during reconfig, the wireless adapter was unplugged. But here at my camp, I use MSN dialup, and experience the same problem.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.