What is the best / fastest way to format a hard drive that currently has windows 98 on it?

I currently don;t have any computers avail w/ xp to put the hd into.

-Ron J

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

If you're formatting, you obviously plan on reinstalling the operating system. If your computer boots off CD-ROM, then all you have to do is issue the format command. If not, you'll need to make a boot disk (Windows calls it a "start up disk") There's a tab in the My Computer properties for that.

After the boot disk is made, write protect it and boot off it. Issue the command "Format c: /s" at the dos prompt and let it go. If you don't make a boot disk, use the start up menu (Press F8 when the "Starting Windows 98..." dialogue appears, I think) and select "Command Prompt Only." Then, issue the "format c: /s" command.

When it's done, you may want to power down your machine (not a requirement, but a suggestion to prevent possible problems) and reinstall your OS.

If you're installing XP, might as well boot from the CD and format the whole thing... there's an option that asks you to format the HDD giving you less work to be done...

You will have an option in the XP setup as if you want to perform a "Quick Erase" (taking around 2 mins depending on HD) or full format which can take 15-30 mins. I suggest using the full format because it will make sure that everything is gone. Good luck mate :)

What is the best / fastest way to format a hard drive that currently has windows 98 on it?

-Ron J

Sounds like you just want to format the drive. Since you are using win98 I suggest the fat32 file system in which case you should go into dos, type fdisk and select the drive you want to format :). That should work. Then all you gotta do is install 98 :D

I wouldn't call micro$oft god ;)

Thanks all, I got it to work. *solved*

-Ron J

take the computer into the backyard, grab a shotgun, and shoot it right behind the harddrive, poor old comp wont feel a thing....j/k

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.