Hello Daniweb forum,

Last night my brother sent me an email with an attachment (about a megabyte in size) and it downloaded fine but with the following message:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.nuvox.net', Server: 'pop.nuvox.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Client timeout. Exiting without update.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

I am using Outlook Express version 6 and am running Windows XP sp2.

So each time I would click on "check mail", his same email would download all over again, along with me getting that error message. Since I have a dial up connection, it was frustrating for me to have to wait each time for the attachment to download all over again.

But then I immediately re-booted into Linux Mandriva (I have a triple boot configuration), the problem didn't show up in Mandriva's email program, Thunderbird. So Thunderbird did like it was supposed to do and deleted my brother's email from the server so I would not keep re-downloading it over and over again. I never got an error message either with Linux's Thunderbird email program.

My question would be, what happened to Outlook Express? Since everything worked fine in Linux, it makes me think the problem was with Outlook Express and not with my email server.

And I made sure there was no check mark in Outlook Express's settings where it asks if I wish to keep the email on the server.

I would really appreciate your expertise in this matter.

Sincerely,
Roy

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

In the email client there is an option in the config to leave the messages on the server (i set up my PDA to do this so i can read them on the go, but keep copies at home)

Call your ISP, let them sort it out.

its an ouytlook option

Hello again forum,

I downloaded and installed the Thunderbird email program written for Windows instead of Linux and the problem went away. But I still get a similar error message from Thunderbird saying the server failed to delete the message. But at least I don't get the same email again when I kept clicking on "send/receive" so it must be deleting the email in spite of the message.

Roy

are you using POP or IMAP

Thanks, I am using POP

Roy

does your server use authentication or not?

There is no check mark where it says "use secure authentication".

There is no check mark where it says "use secure connection".

Roy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.